Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I've got a 2009 cascadia. Last night I lost all my

I've got a 2009 cascadia...
I've got a 2009 cascadia. Last night I lost all my instruments and onboard computer. On further inspection I also lost tail lights, signal lights, marker lights, trailer lights, bunk heater, power Windows, mirror heaters, Jake brakes and cruise control. The engine runs fine, as does the transmission and air systems. Oddly enough my 4-way flashers are on even though the switch is not and my instrument lights flash in time with the 4-ways. I had an on site mechanic look at the truck and he says there is no power to over half the fuse panel and the large plugs on the engine side of the fire wall only show power in half of them. They weren't able to find the cause of this. Any ideas?
3/28/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

The SAM module powers all of that. You year and model had a HUGE issue of leaking water through the lights on the top of the cab, then the water would run down the pillar, around the windshield, and drip on the SAM module. It shorts out everything you mentioned.

Also, the windshield leaks on that side from the factory. DO NOT let Freightliner resolve that. Have a windshield shop do it with the black goo that they use. Freighliner uses some weird gasket and silicone. You want the black windshield sealant. It works 100% better.

Have your tech look at that SAM module. If it has power, then the module is shot. Have him/her look for water in the area to see if that is the cause. It is most likely the cause for it is the cause on nearly every one I encountered with this problem and that is a lot of them.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Your suggestion of the Sam controller sounds very likely as I have had 5 persistent trouble codes with this truck since the day I bought it. 1 Sam, 2 chass, 1 radar and an annoying high idle hours. But in the 3 years I've owned the truck there's never been a problem to go with the code.
Perhaps a bit of clarification is needed to help clarify what happened. I'm currently driving on the arctic ice roads, so leaking windshields aren't an issue (But they do forever leak the rest of the year) and it was -48 when it happened. I'm not sure if any of these factors affect the diagnosis. The mechanic on site did use a test light on a relay labeled "sam backup" And there was power there

That moisture could have gotten frozen on that board in the SAM and cracked it. I see that with our Alaskan oil support trucks. That happens from the water leaking in the fall and then they run north and have the boards pop out. Or they freeze, bring the trucks into a warm shop to do a service, hit the road and problems occur.

Ok, that makes sense. I'm assuming this isn't a quick or easy fix that anyone can do.
The explanation of where the leaking is coming from is extremely helpful. I've been complaining to the window shops for years that their seals aren't working. Guess I owe them an apology.

It isn't difficult. It is just time consuming to get the access to the module. The rest is unplug and plug, then you have to program it after it is on the truck. It is the "brain" for the chassis that joins the cab to the rest of the vehicle so it can only be programmed on the vehicle.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Perfect. Thanks for the help. You were very helpful.

You're welcome!