Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

1985 F600 8.2 Detroit Diesel. Won't start. Need help getting…

Customer Question
1985 F600 8.2 Detroit Diesel...
1985 F600 8.2 Detroit Diesel. Won't start. Need help getting started. Been sitting 9 months. Had new head put on it, then someone stole the batteries, and it's just been sitting now 9 months. Doesn't b seem to be getting fuel. Need help getting started, bleeding, priming, whatever is needed to get started. Won't start with starting fluid (carburetor cleaner) either.
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/27/2018
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 25 days ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi Stephen

I’m Wayne.

I will be assisting you with this issue today.

what you are describing is algae in the fuel

tanks and lines suggest to replace the filters, drain fuel tanks

add clean fresh fuel 50-75 gals use shop air to pressure tank

and loosen the fuel lines, and blow out the old fuel

then try starting, you may have to replace the fuel filters 3 times

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

Found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
A big big truck? This is an f600.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Are you thinking this is a big big truck? It's just a medium duty F600.

Hi

Yes I know what a F 600 is

when I said 50-75 gallons, I meant both tanks if equipped

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Okay, thanks. It's just one tank. So does the same principle apply? Pressurize the one tank? And Where is the fuel pump on this?

Hi

Yes all the same

the fuel pump is on the back of the air compressor that is what drives it

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
This doesn't have an air compressor. There's no air brakes.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you. I will look to see if I can find that. Can you explain the process of using shop air to pressurize the fuel tank, please?

Morning

the resason for using shop air is to push all the old dirty fuel

to bleed it out at all the fittings you loosen, this is messy but no choice

unless you want to remove every line to clean

Remember to add 2-3 cans of algicide to tank before bleeding lines

Please remember to rate my answer 5-stars

so I get the credit for the question

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thx. Sorry, I'm just not sure how to pressure a tank. I've never done that before, so I don't have the first clue on how to do it correctly. Could you shoot me some instructions for how to do that, please? Is there some sort of contraption that you put over the fill cap to hold the air in? Is there a certain PSI level you're looking for? Thanks.

Hi

Thank you for the response

Don't be sorry , ASK, that is why I am here

you want 2-3 lbs pressure, most fuel caps have a lead knock out

spot, knock that lead out and tap the hole 1/8" and screw in an air hose chuck

from your shop, if not drill a hole, when done just put a plug in the hole

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thx, Wayne. How will I measure the PSI inside? I'm not a shop, just an aspiring Mobile Mechanic. So just about everything I'm doing I'm learning to do.
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 24 days ago

Hi Stephen

use an air regulator with a gauge on it

if you are a mobile mechanic, use the airline from your compressor

if you do not have that use a air chuck on the cap fitting and short burst of air

until you see it leaking out the loose fittings

MorningJust following up with youDid my answer help youWayne
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi, Wayne. Sorry for the delay. I will be Back at the truck probably by Wednesday to try out the things that you suggested. Don't worry, I will write you. I usually wait until after the project is finished to do the rating. Most of the time that's the same day, but sometimes, like with this one, it takes several days to be able to get back out to the truck. Don't worry, I always rate people. And you've been great so far. Thank you.
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 23 days ago

OK

Thank you

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
You mentioned to not forget the algaecide. Could you point me to what you are talking about? Maybe something on Amazon that I can order?

HI

no got to the auto parts store and ask them for it

click here

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Hi, Wayne. I keep getting emails, I don't know if you are sending them, or if they are automated. I'm going to be back at the truck on Wednesday probably to keep working on it. I don't usually right people until I'm done with the project, because I think in the past when I've rated someone before I was done, they just stopped answering me. I always right people, so please be assured of that, and if you are the one sending the messages everyday asking me to rate you, please rest assured that I will write you when the job is done. If it's an automated system, then please let me know, and I will email justanswer.com and request that they not send those reminders every single day. Thanks again, for your help. I'll be in touch probably on Wednesday. Thank you.
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 21 days ago

Morning

Happy Easter

No, just delete them not me, JA automated

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
the last time I went to the dump truck, I basically pressurized it with my lungs, as I couldn't figure out a way to pressurize it otherwise. The fuel cap is super beefy, and I didn't want to drill through it. I've got a tool that can gauge 2 PSI, just need a tire gauge shrader valve installed in the tank somehow (how? any other way?). My main question is: How do I know if this is getting fuel or not? On a gas engine, it's fairly easy, plug in the fuel pressure gauge, and voila: I know I'm getting fuel and the right pressure of fuel. On this one, I don't have a clue. Using my lungs, I was able to blow fuel through the first filter and up the line up to the engine (right before it goes into some kind of splitter. This is all totally greek to me. It runs into some kind of splitter. Then it goes into what I'm assuming is some sort of intake. There are lines that seem to go here, there, and everywhere. There's a second fuel filter, not sure how that one works in the system. I'm assuming diesel is like gas in that you need fuel, spark, timing and compression... although... maybe it's just compression and not spark on this? I don't know. I'm thinking that since it recently had the head rebuilt and hasn't started since then, that it's not getting fuel. I was told it needed to be bled, but I don't know how to tell if it's getting fuel or not once I pressurize the system. Should I take pictures next time I'm down there, so you can see everything, or are you pretty familiar with the 8.2 Detroit diesel and can walk me through this?Thanks!
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 15 days ago

Morning Stephen

sorry, your lungs are not good enough......LOL

on your injectors, you have a tube to each injector and tubes for return lines

(cross tubes) crack all the injector lines lose, crank over 10 seconds rest 15 seconds

not to burn the starter out. When you see bubbles at the lines keep going

until you see fuel then tighten each line, hold the throttle to the floor

when it starts let up on pedal slow until it runs smooth

Wayne, Journeyman