Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

My 1017 pete 579 has water leak flooding under getting floor…

Hi my 1017 pete...

Hi my 1017 pete 579 has water leak flooding under bunk getting floor wet in sleeper shorted out my under bunk speaker at shop now fourth time looking for ideas where water coming from changed gasket around right side door in sleeper way to much water to be coming from there

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2017 579 its a Fitzgerald glider D 60

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've looked at some forums they said might be plastic vents on back of sleeper

3 + hours no answer
3/28/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

This was in the boats category. Not sure what happened there. It was just moved over to us.

Do the vents on the back of the sleeper appear to be facing up or down? Like you have to look up and into them or down into them?

Has anyone checked the silicona at the top of the sleeper yet?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

thank you for your response its in a pete shop now they are trying i'm just looking for advice hoping someone has specific knowledge on a 579 like mine i'll check vent

I've seen the vents upside down and the top join sections, there is a silicone gasket used to mate the fiberglass together and the factory forget to install them. I've also seen the silicone be all jacked sideways at the joins where the water will leak right down inside the truck.

Peterbilt techs won't like it, but they'll need to pull the lights out and the upper panel to look and see where the water is streaming from. I would suggest what our shop has been doing and that is to use the clear silicone (teflex) and run the bleed along the whole upper joint section, then use a tile triangle and run it along that seem like you are caulking a sink. It has been successful in stopping the leaks for ours. It is that or the body shop will have to pull the panels and replace the silicone seals which can put the truck down. With it being a glider, not sure if there is the warranty from the glider shop to cover that and the downtime for the 2 weeks to resolve that.

don't understand fiberglass the sleeper all metal you think bunk headliner channels water to run back and show behind and under bunk also what way would you use water hose to help in diagnose of this

You have the upgraded glider. Gotcha.

Check the rivets. Make sure none are missing and the metal isn't separated. Otherwise it shouldn't leak.

Yes, it will channel and you will want to check around the marker lights. Before using the hose, check the gaskets. if you have the upgraded window, check the split at the seal and make sure the gap is not more than a 1/4 of an inch or it will let water in to the upper metal layer and run along the right side. Not sure why always the right on those, but that seems to always be the side I find the water when the gap is more than a 1/4 inch where the rubber comes together.

Run a hose going from front to back with a little bit of pressure, going back and forth at the front where the top of the cab starts to roll. That is the same as going down the road. Then if nothing, use a garden fan type spayer, like a shower setting, and run from top straight down like rain. Then if nothing, run the hose with no attachments about half on at the top of the rear of the sleeper like water running down the back.

Those are the ways I do it.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
thanks truth be told if it wasn't warranty work i probably would or could figure it out myself thanks i'll 5 you 1957 here big trucks big bucks its always something even with the leaks and other probs i love my Fitzgerald fuel savings alone make my note had a 379 with thirsty Cat

I really miss CAT. I wish they would go back to doing a highway engine instead of using that International Maxxforce garbage.

Love my cat fuel mileage sucked d60 in glider pays 90,000 in fuel before now 60,000 not as strong but if driven correctly with 13 works well you north or south usa

I'm in Florida, so it's both north and south. lol

Bootleged weed in Labelle in the 70s "Buzz Awhile" tnx again out

Oh those day...

Square grouper in the gulf the old castaways in north miami lets not forget the other place