Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a code 128 233 14 sid code. Its on a 2007 freghtliner…

I have a code...

I have a code 128 233 14 sid code. Its on a 2007 freghtliner columbia with a mercedes engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Columbia cl120. W61171

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Removed the pld. Had it bench tested by freightliner. Replaced batteries.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I verified power and grounds at the pld. Also checked the vcu.

3/27/2018
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

the 233 14 is an ecu calibration code. . did you replace the ecm??

No. My customer recently changed the batteries. Afterwards the truck would not start. It cranks but will not start.
This an rv chassis. 47,000 miles. I work on a fleet of freightliners. I have never encountered this code before.

the code indicates an ecm calibration failure.

check this list for benz codes. nice quick reference.

sounds like something went wrong when he replaced the batteries.

Roy

file:///C:/Users/Roy/Desktop/MBECODES.pdf

I removed the ecm. Freightliner confirmed that they were able to communicate with the ecm. They told me to check the vcu. I unplugged the vcu and immidiately got a 248 code which means ecm lost communication with the ecm. I plugged it back in, and the code went away. I assume vcu is ok. No wires are corroded at ecm, vcu, or batteries. I load tested the 5 power, ground a ignition connections at the 16 pin ecm connector on side of engine.

ok, good

the calibration is internal in the ecm. you can have powers and grounds but if the ecm has no info to work off, then it does not know what to do.

I would download the latest update for the ecm.

Roy

How do i do that? Does freightliner do that?

they sure do.

you need the DDDL program and access to the freight liner web site for the latest update.

Roy

I have to remove the ecm and bring it back to them?
They can do it off the truck?
What if that doesnt do anything? If i have the same problem?
Are there any wires or circuits that need to be checked?

no, the whole truck needs to go, they cannot program off the truck.

you could ask the dealer if they can have a tech come to you to do the programming.

there are no wires or circuits to check, you already did that check.

this is a start.

Roy

Shit. Thats not feasible or even possible most likely.

sorry, do you have a mobile service around you that will come and do it??

Roy

No. They all suck around here including the dealer. Can this be done with a jpro noregon software?
Can offer an explanation as to what happened?

j pro, yes. the only thing is you need access to the freightliner web site to access the download.

I use a TEXA and have the same issue with programming.

as I stated before, something went wrong when your customer replaced the batteries. chances are he may not tell you but it is the only explanation for this.

Roy

Ok. I have access to jpro. Ok. Where do we go from here if the download does not work?
Would a new ecm solve this problem if lets say i could not download the latest ecm?

As I stated you need to start somewhere and we are here. you need to download the latest software or buy a new ecm. the new ecm will have the latest software installed in it.

Roy

Ok. I have someone with jpro software. I will try this and get back to you. May take a few days. I assume that based on the information that i gave you, this leads to the ecm being at fault. That is the only fault code that is present.

correct

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Can i continue this conversation when i get the ecu flashed?

once you rate you can continue as long as you wish. this will stay open and locked to me.

other wise it will time out and we will loose each other.

Roy

roybelding

thank you

I just checked two things, one....i have a throttle pedal. With key on, i can see the percentage of pedal as i press it. And two...i DO Not have a rpm while cranking! There is no code for crank sensor. I unplugged the sensor and there is still no code.coukd this be the problem. Can a crank sensor go bad and not throw a code???

the ecm looks for the signal from the crank sensor. without that signal, it cannot tell the injectors to go.

if you have no tach signal cranking it is either not seeing a signal which should set a code or the ecm itself is not processing the information correctly.

Did your buddy with the j pro flash the ecm???

Roy

No. Not yet. He said his jpro can not do it. So im trying everyrhing else before i have to go to the dealer and spend $500 for the reflash. Im gonna try the crank sensor first. Does this make sense? I feel like im making headway now. Its starting to make sense....why engine will not start

you can try but if it was bad, it should throw a code.

odd, last week I was at a site in texas and we reflashed an ecm with a j pro.

Roy

How come when i unlplug the crank sensor it doesnot throw a code??? This sensor is located on the flywheel housing. It is snowing here. Probably wont get back to the truck until the end of the week. Thank you for staying in touch.

It snowing here too.

take a volt meter and put it into the terminals for the crank sensor. tell me what you read

Roy

Ok. Will do when i get back to the truck. Thanks again.

your welcome

glad to help

What should the voltage be?
There was two sensors at the back of the engine. One was in the flywheel housing and sensed the teeth on the flywheel. This read 12 volts. I changed the the sensor. Engine starts now but i have no fuel pedal and gauges do not function. Still only have the same code as when i first started this repair. Im gonna remove and clean every single ground wire on the truck. After that I'm leaning towards a reflash of the ecm. What is your opinion?

check all your grounds.

check the pedal sensor as well at the fuel pedal. that is what sends the signal to the ecm that you want power.

Roy

I will. But wouldnt you get a code for a pedal sensor? I have only the same one code i started with.

with the ecm doing these crazy things, it may not.

make sure there is a 5 volt reference to the pedal sensor.

Roy

Ok. Sounds logical. I will check it on my next visit to the customer. Thank you again for keeping in touch. What about the gauges? How come the gauges do not register?

that sounds like harness issue. check the harness at the back of the cluster. they all need power to work. verify they have power.

Roy

you are not leaning towards a reflash?

yes, as a start

Roy

Ok. Thank you again for getting back to me quickly and i will check these things and report back.

ok

When i turn the key to the run position, all the gauges go to full scale and then zero out. The gauges are getting power.

thats he sweep test. that means you have power but the info is not getting sent to the cluster.

going back to the ecm.

Roy

Thats what im thinking. Also, with the scan tool hooked up and key on i can read fuel pedal percentage. Just want to exhaust all other possibilties before the i do a reflash.

I understand

I still have to clean all the ground connections at the starter and the frame. After that, i think im gonna go for the reflash. Do you agree?

yes sir, I agree

Roy

Ok. Thank you. Will let you know how i make out.

sounds good

Had the ecu and the vcu flashed with the latest software. Still get the same code, plus 7 more.

7 more??? what are they??

128 168 4 pid battery voltage low
128 102 13 pid boost out of calibration
128 105 3 pid intake temp voltage high
128 100 3 pid oil pressure voltage hi
128 110 3 pid coolant temp voltage high
128 175 3 pid oil temp voltage hi
128 158 1 pid battery voltage lo
I think the batteries are weak from sitting in the cold. Could this be a issue? Charging them now.

yes, charge them up until they are all 12.6 volts.

check charging system as well. let me know the charge voltage. also, when checking the charge voltage, check for any AC voltage

Roy

It wanted to start when first cranked. But slowed down after a few seconds. Add in the fact that i had to open the fuel system because the fuel flows thru the ecm....probably put air in the fuel system too.

yep, the 60 is a bear to start with air in the lines

Roy

Do you think the codes will go away once it starts? Why am i getting all these new codes? They are all active?

it could be from low voltage. common for a lot of codes to appear from low voltage.

Roy

Thats what i thought. Probably be back on the truck tomorrow. Thanks again

your welcome

Ok. Batteries are charged. Battery cable conne tions are clean and tight. Cranks no start. Now i have 7 active fault codes

can you list them??

Same ones as before
Says low voltage on lcd screen on dash while cranking.
Batteries are charged and starter cranks
Hello?

I am here. teaching for a bit. be back on in about an hour

ok can you check and see if you have reference voltage to the sensors?? 5 volt reference???

Roy

Hello roy. Been a while. Had to swallow my pride and tow it to the dealership. Turns out the ecm was bad the whole time. Tested good on the bench but would not work in the truck. Figure that one out. They installed a known good ecm and truck started right up. Just letting you know so there is closure here. I could have gambled and bought a new ecm but i have never encountered this before and neither has the dealer.

I hear you. I know we discussed this way back in the beginning as well.

glad to hear it is fixed for you