Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

247-11 is active (not just a stored code) on my 2000 RV

Customer Question
247-11 is active (not...

247-11 is active (not just a stored code) on my 2000 RV thats on a Freightliner X chassis with a Cat engine. What do I need to check?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2000 Freightliner X chassis (Motorhome) with a Cat 3126

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cruise control wont work and I suspect/hope this is related

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

246-11 Bake Pedal Switch #1 fault

This occurs when the driver pushes on the brake pedal very hard. This causes the Brake switch #2 to close before Brake switch #1 closes. It does not hurt anything but, the code will always be logged in the ECM and Caterpillar has not corrected the software bug as of yet but it is common and poses no safety or operational concern.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

I know about 246-11 but that is not the code I have. I have 247-11 and its not a stored code, its active and won't clear.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Sorry for the confusion. 247 is another related to this one.

247-11 is a very common fault to see on these engines. Especially if the engine is in a GMC or a Chevy.

Basically there is no fix for it. I know it sounds silly but here is why.

The brake switch is needed for proper operation of the cruise, idle, and PTO controls and logic. But if the operator hits the brake pedal hard, it actually sets off the brake switch 2 switch faster than the 1 switch. This itself cause the fault. It's actually a software bug in the Cat ECM that causes this. Cat has never fixed the bug. The good news is this code does not hurt anything nor should it turn the light on. The only thing you can try is a reset to factory setting in the ECM software but this will come back under the same conditions unfortunately.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

246 is switch 1 and 247 is switch 2...

Shouldn't it be a stored code and not an active code?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Check for a failed brake switch and test the wiring harness for damage or shorts.

Is this an air over electric switch or mechanical?
Where are they located?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
The Custom RV chassis sometimes can vary from the standard truck chassis. The switches will either be on the brake pedal itself or if not found on the brake pedal they will be usually near the master cylinder if hydraulic brakes and an air manifold pressure switch for air brakes.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago