Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

JUST BOUGHT A 1988 FORD L8000 DUMP TRUCK WITH A 3208 CAT…

JUST BOUGHT A 1988...

JUST BOUGHT A 1988 FORD L8000 DUMP TRUCK WITH A 3208 CAT ENGINE WITH BRAND NEW COMMERCIAL BATTERIES FROM NAPA, AND IT STARTED UP FOR ME OVER 10 DIFFERENT TIMES! IT HAS 50 GALLONS OF DIESEL FUEL IN THE TANK, AND BATTERIES ARE FULLY CHARGED, AND I PARKED IT FOR A DAY AND NOW IT CRANKS, BUT WILL NOT START AT ALL JUST FREE CRANKING AND WILL NOT EVEN BEGIN TO FIRE / START UP PERIOD! DON'T KNOW WHY SINCE IT STARTED UP GREAT SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE I LAST PARKED IT AFTER PUTTING FUEL IT IT AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP, BUT AFTER I PARKED AT THE END OF THE DAY, IT WON'T START BACK UP AFTER 1 HOUR TIME AFTER I LASTED USED IT! WHAT'S WRONG?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

THE 3208 CAT ENGINE WILL CRANK BUT WILL NOT START!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO! BUT WOULD LOVE TO GET IT BACK WORKING AND RUNNING!

3/25/2018
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I’m Wayne.

I will be assisting you with this issue today.

I suggest to start at the fuses and check them all

with a test light on both ends

does it smoke while cranking ??

HI WAYNE! DO YOU WANT ME TO START WITH THE FUSE BLOCK AND CHECK ALL THE FUSES WITH A TEST LIGHT ON BOTH ENDS OF THE FUSES? DOES IT SMOKE WHILE CRANKING? NO! AS FAR AS I CAN SEE AND TELL I SEE NO SMOKE WHEN CRANKING THE 3208 CAT ENGINE! WITH A FULLY CHARGED NEW COMMERCIAL BATTERIES I CAN CRANK THE STARTER AND IT JUST FREE SPINNING / CRANKING! I STOP CRANKING AND WAIT A FEW MINUTES, AND HIT THE IGNITION KEY AGAIN, AND IT JUST CRANKS & CRANKS FREELY, BUT WILL NOT START AT ALL PERIOD! NOT EVEN BEGIN TO START FIRING OVER! I WORE DOWN THE BATTERIES TRYING TO START THE 3208 CAT ENGINE, AND I HAD TO TAKE THE BATTERIES OUT AND PUT THEM ON A CHARGER FOR 2 DAYS TO CHARGE THEM FULLY UP!I WAS GOING TO CHECK TO SEE IF I GOT POWER TO 12 VOLT FUEL SHUTOFF SOLENOID WITH TEST LIGHT TO SEE IF I HAD POWER TO IT? IT MAY HAVE POWER TO IT, BUT THE FUEL SOLENOID MAYBE NOT WORKING CORRECTLY????? MY FRIEND PETE TOLD ME TO CHECK THE FUEL SOLENOID OUT FOR POWER TO IT AND ALSO CHECK TO SEE IF IT'S WORKING CORRECTLY?BUT AS FAR AS I CAN SEE AND CAN TELL I SEE NO SMOKE COMING FROM THE EXHAUST PIPE WHEN CRANKING THE 3208 CAT ENGINE OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!!!!THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
I OPERATED THIS 1988 FORD L8000 DUMP TRUCK FOR ONE WHOLE DAY WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS WHAT-SO-EVER STARTING OR RUNNING DRIVING IT! I STARTED IT UP IN THE MORNING AND THE EXHAUST SMOKED BUT CLEARED UP AFTER IT WARMED UP! AFTER THAT NO PROBLEMS! HAD A FLAT TIRE AND DROVE IT DOWN TO LES SCHWAB TIRES TO GET IT FIXED! AFTER THEY CALLED ME THAT IT WAS FIXED, I WENT OUT AND PICK-UP THE DUMP TRUCK AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP WITH NO PROBLEM! TOOK IT DOWN TO MAVERIK GAS STATION TO FILL UP 50 GALLONS OF DIESEL FUEL! IT START RIGHT BACK UP AND DROVE IT DOWN TO OUR SHOP! PARKED IT AND THE NEXT DAY IT WOULD NOT START AT ALL JUST CONTINUED TO CRACK & CRANK OVER WITHOUT STARTING PERIOD! WILL PUT THE TWO (2) FULLY CHARGED BATTERIES BACK INTO IT TOMORROW MONDAY (MONDAY) 03/26/2018 IN THE AFTERNOON WHEN THE WEATHER WILL BE 44 DEGREES MAX AND TRY STARTING IT AGAIN!IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, I WILL CHECK THE FUSES AND ALSO THE 12 VOLT POWER TO THE FUEL SOLENOID!
AND GO FROM THERE!!!!!

Morning

Yes what you are describing is no power to fuel solenoid

check all the fuses, also, run a temp hot jumper wire

to the fuel solenoid and it should start if yes you have lost power to the solenoid

if no solenoid failed

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

Found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​

HI WAYNE!LATEST UPDATE: I LOADED MY TWO (2) FULLY CHARGED NEW COMMERCIAL TRUCK BATTERIES AND MY TOOLS IN MY CAR TRUNK AND WENT TO O'REILLY'S AUTO PARTS TO PICKED UP A POWER LIGHT TESTER FOR CHECKING FOR POWER TO THE FUEL SOLENOID AND CHECKING THE FUSES, AND A CAN OF STARTING FLUID AND SOME 14 GAUGE WIRE & CLIPS TO RUN A JUMPER WIRE IF NEEDED! PICKED UP MY HELPER AND DROVE 40 MINUTES (34.7 MILES ) TO WHERE MY 1988 FORD L8000 DUMP TRUCK WAS PARKED TO GET IT UP AND RUNNING!WHEN WE FIRST GOT THERE, WE INSTALLED THE TWO (2) FULLY CHARGED BATTERIES, RAN BATTERY CABLES FROM MY CAR BATTERY TO THE TRUCK BATTERIES TO KEEP THE BATTERY CHARGING WHILE TRYING TO START THE 3208 CAT ENGINE! WE TRIED STARTING IT BUT WITH NO LUCK!NEXT WE TESTED TO SEE IF WE HAD POWER TO THE FUEL SOLENOID AS WE HOOKED THE LIGHT TESTER TO THE POWER SIDE OF THE SOLENOID AND TURN THE KEY ON AND WE HAD POWER TO THE FUEL SOLENOID. TURN KEY OFF AND NO POWER TO SOLENOID! TOOK A SMALL HAMMER AND LIGHTLY TAPPED THE SOLENOID! AFTER THAT WE TRIED STARTING THE CAT ENGINE AGAIN WITH NO LUCK!FROM THERE, I CHECKED THE FUEL FILTER AND I NOTICED THROUGH THE GLASS IN THE FILTER THERE WAS FUEL IN THE LOWER HALF, BUT THE UPPER TOP HALF SHOWED THERE WAS 1/4 INCH LOW ON FUEL AND I OPENED UP THE COCKPIT TO DRAIN THE AIR OUT OF THE TOP HALF OF THE FUEL FILTER AND THE FUEL FILLED UP TO THE TOP OF THE GLASS OF THE FILTER!TRIED STARTING THE CAT ENGINE AGAIN WITH NO LUCK STILL!FROM THERE I TOOK THE AIR FILTER HOUSING COVER OFF AND PULL THE LARGE FILTER OUT! HAD MY HELPER IN THE DRIVER SEAT AND I TOLD HIM WHEN I SAID CRANK THE ENGINE, HE DID AND I SPRAYED STARTING FLUID INTO THE AIR FILTER HOUSING AND (HOUSTON WE HAVE LIFT OFF) AND THE 3208 CAT ENGINE FIRED UP AND STAYED RUNNING!WE LET IT RUN TO FULLY WARM THE ENGINE UP, THEN REPLACED THE AIR FILTER AND FILTER HOUSING COVER!LET IT RUN AND WARM UP SOME MORE UNTIL THE SMOKE FROM THE EXHAUST CLEARED UP, SHUT THE TRUCK HOOD, AND MY HELPER FOLLOWED ME AS I DROVE THE 34.7 MILES BACK TO MY HOUSE / PROPERTY AT NEWMAN LAKE, WA.THE 1988 FORD 3208 CAT ENGINE RAN FINE ALL THE WAY TO MY HOUSE WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL PERIOD!IT'S A SWEAT RUNNING ENGINE AND IT WAS SO GOOD TO SEE AND FEEL THE POWER OF THIS 3208 CAT ENGINE GOING DOWN THE FREEWAY DOING 60-65 MPH AND DROVE EXCELLENT!THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND ASSISTANCE WAYNE!

Morning

sounds like it was air bound

Great that it is going

Happy truckin

Please remember to rate my answer 5-stars so I get the credit for the question

Wayne, Journeyman
WAYNE! WOULD LIKE A TOTAL ITEMIZE BREAKDOWN OF TOTAL BILLING FOR YOUR TECHNICIAN SUPPORT FOR THIS 1988 FORD L8000 DUMP TRUCK 3208 CAT ENGINE WON'T START? NEED TO FIND OUT HOW MUCH I WILL BE BILLED FOR PAYMENT PLUS A $9.00 TIP TO YOU ON MY DEBT CARD? WOULD LIKE TO KNOW FULL BILLING ON YOUR SUPPORT CHARGE TO MY DEBIT CARD?THANKS!

Hi

I am a subcontractor for JA

I have nothing to do with billing

as far as I know, it is the amount you agreed to plus the tip

WAYNE!AS OF 03/26/2018 I CANCEL ANY OTHER TECH SUPPORT FROM YOUR JUST ANSWER TECH SUPPORT!JUST NEED TO KNOW THE TOTAL BILLING PAYMENT TO MY DEBIT CARD?I HAVE AN A.A.S. DEGREE IN AUTOMOTIVE AND AN A.A.S. DEGREE IN AUTO PARTS FROM SPOKANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE IN SPOKANE, WA., SO I DO HAVE SOME MECHANICAL BACKGROUND! PLUS I HAVE AN A.A.S. DEGREE IN COMMERCIAL TRUCKING FROM SOUTH SEATTLE COMMUNITY COLLEGE IN SEATTLE, WA.I DO HAVE A MECHANICAL KNOWLEDGE IN THE AUTOMOTIVE FIELD, AND SEMI TRACTORS FALLS BASICALLY UNDER THAT CATEGORY AS YOU CAN SAY!!!!! SO I KNOW THE BASIC FUNDAMENTAL AS A MECHANIC, BUT NEEDED SOME BACKUP HELP / SUPPORT TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG THAT THE 3208 CAT DIESEL ENGINE WON'T START! AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT!JOSEPH BOLLMAN SGT. E-5
U.S.M.C. 1968 TO 1975 VIETNAM VETERAN 1969, AND 1970-71

Hello Joseph

as I mentioned, it was what you agreed to,

your question amount to me is $22.03 so JA gets the same amount

plus your tip

I also Vietnam US Army 1970-1972

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!
WELCOME HOME BROTHER!

Hi

Same to you also, years flew by since then

My 19-year-old Grandson in US Army getting deployed to Afghanistan in Sept

TELL HIM TO KEEP HIS BUTT DOWN AND HAVE SOMEONE COVER HIS SIX (6) BACK!
FROM ONE VETERAN TO ANOTHER -SEMPER FI! "ALWAYS FAITHFUL!HAVE A GREAT DAY WAYNE!

You do the same...........

God will be with him and his buddies