Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Is a real person there? 1998 fld120 freightliner semi truck…

HI is a real...

HI is a real person there?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1998 fld120 freightliner semi truck 975074

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ye sand no I am putting an engine form this truck in a tractor. I need a certain section of the wire diagram to figure out 4 wires

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am working on the section of the wiring that has to do with the engine fan switch. I need to know where all 4 wires go form that switch. I have never done this before ... how does it work and how long does it take? Cost?

3/25/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. Customer service can help your with your billing questions before we begin as they handle all that. Also you need to post the engine make, model, and serial number.

Dan,
I have never done this before. I did not know that the answers took so much time to get. While I waited I read some info on the internet that lead me to the specific answer I needed. However I could still use some help. I am putting s series 60 Detroit 06r0427030 from a 1998 fld120 Freightliner semi tractor serial # 975074 into a Stiger farm tractor. I kept all the wiring from the truck and am installing that wiring into the tractor as it applies to the computer systems of the truck. I will end up with one wiring system from the farm tractor to run lights, ac, heater fan etc. The truck system will run computers, engin gages, control modual and display center. In the process I am illiminating some things like Cruse control, Jake brake and s number of switches that I don't need. There will be a number of those illiminations that might trip me up like clutch and brake switches perhaps needing to be jumpered or low air sensors etc. I have a book with the wiring diagrams for the farm tractor. I have a scematic from Detroit of their systems but I don't have a wiring diagram from Freightliner of the Detroit specific wiring in the cab ( with wire numbers) to help me double check my re-instalation and to help me solve mysteries like the fan clutch switch I originally wrote about.( I forgot that engin fans are on with an absence of power instead of a presence of power)�� also in the future I will need a diagram to solve breakdowns and other stuff that pops up. If you can get me a Freightliner (Detroit series60 specific) wiring diagram that would be great. Or perhaps a part number to order one or website to download one that doesn't require a perscription or some affordable way to get one. ( I do have an oversymplified diagram from the sleeper in the truck- covers basic important stuff but not all the wires) Thanks Chuck

Thanks for the update Chuck. I should be able to help with all of that. I need to know if the ECM is DDEC 2,3, or 4 ?

DC 4
Thank you
I will note that there is a diagram that Freightliner calls a basic diagram. It is not enough to show all the wiring.

Click on this link for the Vehicle OEM connector and the engine side.

Service info

Basically everything on the engine side is the same and the ECM OEM connector will be the same as well weather it is in a Freightliner or another chassis. Please remember to take a moment and rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are greatly appreciated. Click on the service info link above for the diagrams. I have a highly detailed manual for DDEC IV that will cover installation and setup that I will send over an offer any premium service if interested. Once accepted let me know what email you would like the information sent to. If all you need is the diagram that I've already posted then just take a moment to rate my answers and we can still follow up as needed on here.
I already have these diagrams from Detroit. I need Freightliner diagrams. I need to see wiring in the Freightliner cab that corresponds to 1998 fld 120 with a Detroit engin. The wiring is not the same in the Freightliner for each engin. For instance some of the Freightliner wire numbers that go to engine stuff have a D in front of them.

I have them and the full manual for FLD

Click this link

Service info

Daniel Wilson
THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!!!! EXCELENT I AM EXCITED I CAN DOUBLE CHECK ALL THEWIRING NOW AND BE SURE BEFORE I EVEN ADD POWER. THANK YOU DANIEL! I tried to get this from freightliner but they sent me the basic that I already had. Thanks you ... I have never done this before so I hope I can find out how to hive you a great rating
By the way Daniel I did find the rating star thing and gave you the max.
Also thanks for sticking with this difficult question.
Thanks again Chuck. This was a great experience.

Pleasure to help Chuck and thank you for your generosity. Let me know if you need more help in the future.

sure will...thanks

You are welcome.

I don't know if you will still be there but I have another question.......I was looking at the diagram carefully and noticed a few discrepancies' compared to mine. I looked a the date which was dec. 1996 mine is May 1998. It is still certainly still 95% usefull but happens to be missing some things I imagined they added later. One major difference is that he drawings I have do not have the DCM and display that indicates certain engine problems etc. that mine has ( unless I am somehow missing it on the drawings) Would you be able to get the later version closer to my year? Its still plenty helpful if you can't but would be even better if its available. I would be happy to pay more to too If I would be able to figure out how. Thanks Chuck

Hi Chuck, I believe that might be the closest and I did post an offer for the manual which cover mid 90's to early 2000 models if interested and I will throw in what else I come across in my archives. Just let me know what e mail to send to once accepted.

Thanks very *****@******.***
I will sure pay you if you get it. Thanks again.
It is very foggy here and our internet is satellite. My last message said it may not have gone through so I will try it once more. Thanks very *****@******.***
There should be a link for an offer posted at 11:05 p.m. if you scroll back. Once accepted I can provide you the link
Oh I get it I will try link. Thanks

I posted in the private contact window above.

I also sent to your email. Let me know once you have the files so I know when it's okay to shut down the links.