Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Have a 2001 Freighliner FLD112 with a ISM400 Cummins. We are…

Have a 2001 Freighliner...

Have a 2001 Freighliner FLD112 with a ISM400 Cummins. We are experiencing a situation where intermittently, seems when it warms up, spit and sputtering and some power loss. If we stop, let it rest or change out a filter it seems to settle down a little but then returns again.We have had the fuel tanks cleaned, fuel lines replaced. Our local dealer did a flow test and can't seem to find anything. We hit the road and it starts again. Fault code showing up on my ELD page says SID-17 FMI4 Fuel shutoff valve #1. A repair shop in Ft. Worth seemed to think it was the solenoid on the fuel pump. They claimed it was drawing only 6 volts and wiring has been checked. They replaced the solenoid but the problem reoccurred again as the truck warmed up. Could use some advise.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Vin is 1FUBABA821LH90435 FLD11242ST ISM400/2100

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

In frame was done by Stoops Freightliner this past December. Previously for last couple of months we seemed to be clogging up fuel filters prematurely, that was the reason for the tank cleaning and fuel line replacement. The tank cleanings etc. were done in the last 2 weeks by our local dealer.

3/24/2018
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Professionals are not employees of the site and I login periodically throughout the day as time allows in between jobs Etc. We can follow up as needed on here. Please give me some time to review your fault codes and information and post my follow-ups. Also if there's any way you can upload a service report from that dealership showing the technicians report on the work that was done that would potentially be helpful as well.
We have a mechanic working on it at Trinity Fleet Services in Ft. Worth, TX. right now They are the ones that are trying to trace this down and replaced the fuel pump solenoid. My driver is keeping me updated. We kept thinking it was fuel filters plugging up so our dealer up here cleaned the tanks and replaced the fuel lines.My driver says they are actively trying to test the wiring harnesses.

CODEREASONEFFECT

Fault Code: 254
PID: S017
SPN: 632
FMI: 4/4
LAMP: Red
SRT:

Fuel Shutoff Valve Circuit - Shorted Low. Low voltage detected at fuel shutoff valve circuit.

Fuel shutoff valve will close. Engine will shutdown

Inspect the fuel shutoff supply circuit for external wires that can be spliced in to power another device. Remove any extra wires that are found in the circuit. If there is an external shutdown system on the vehicle that uses the fuel shutoff valve for engine shutdown, make sure it has not failed and pulled down the voltage on the fuel shutoff circuit. Inspect the engine-to-chassis ground wire to make sure it is securely fastened to a clean, dry, conductive surface.

Possible causes for this fault include:

• Short circuit to ground in the engine harness, connectors, or fuel shutoff valve

resistance for solenoid,is 6 to 15 ohms for 12-VDC

The fuel shutoff valve is located on the fuel delivery housing above the fuel filter

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Daniel Wilson
That is what is posted on the net without having to pay for it. I thought you might have something a little more. The mechanic is working with the electrical circuits.
Thank you.