Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2004 ford f650. It has a navistar 6.0 in it. The…

I have a 2004 ford...
I have a 2004 ford f650. It has a navistar 6.0 in it. The truck has no power and has a vgt over duty cycle code. it also sets a vgt erams code during the air management test. I have already pulled the turbo and confirmed the turbo veins do move freely and the turbo seloniod does work correctly. I've already checked my 5v reference and ground to all my sensors and it all seams OK but i get no boost signal at all.
3/24/2018
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there. My name is***** have found that sometimes , the muffler can get plugged up over the years. If you have no codes to follow, then I would try loosening the turbo downpipe after the turbo and take it for a ride to see if it performs better.

I removed the down pipe and still had the same problem. And I do have codes. It sets a code for vgt over duty cycle when the truck is at an idle. And it sets a vgt erams code during the air management test.
Have you tried a new exhaust back pressure sensor ? ... This is a feedback sensor to control turbo . It may be inaccurate !
When you step on the gas and go to accelerate the truck does not respond. It will not accelerate unless you keep your foot down for like 30 seconds and then finally it will start to accelerate but still has no power and blows out a cloud of smoke. I've installed a new egr valve that I use for testing and still doesn't improve anything.
Yea the exhaust back pressure sensor works correctly and have swapped it with one from another truck.
I have a electrical tool that I'm able to change the output voltage with. When I hook it up to the ebp sensor I can change the voltage and watch the pressure change on my scan tool. I can do the same thing with the icp sensor. Change the voltage on the signal wire and watch the pressure change on my scan tool. But when I do it with the boost sensor I know the voltage is changing but my boost pressure on the scan tool will not change. Could this make the truck have no acceleration and drive so poorly.
What is your fuel pressure running at ?
55psi at idle and goes up to 90 psi when I try to accelerate
Have you tried unplugging the ICP sensor in the valve cover ?
Do you want the specific code numbers I'm getting.
Vgt over duty cycle
Vgt erams fault
Yes I've unplugged the sensor and the costomer replaced it before bringing it to me.

I work for an International dealer and so I will look up what I can as I know it will be fairly similar for this engine.

Did you read what I said about not be able to change the boost signal? What is a good time to get a phone call. I'm a master tech and have repaired many many ford 6.0s. I would really like to get a phone call. Its hard to explain everything I've done through text.

I am not worried about the erams fault as this always comes up during the air management test. It was a glitch in the programming from way back then.

Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
The motor is an international.(Navistar)
What about the vgt over duty cycle while the truck is at an idle
Phone call session started

I will send you a performance sheet as well.