Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have 2011 international 7400 workhorse. unit is lossing…

I have 2011 international 7400...
I have 2011 international 7400 workhorse. unit is lossing power then dieing while pulling under a load.
3/23/2018
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
Hi there my name is ***** ***** I'd like to help if I can. Can we start with the last 8 digits of the VIN number please?
Also do you have an engine light on with any faults in memory?
vin# ***** faults 94-1 and 94-17.
These are fuel delivery related faults ! Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on ?

Are you there ?

Please do not forget to rate my service to you ! Thanks

Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
fuel pump is working. fuel pump and screen and filter replaced with oem components. also replaced return check vavle and spring with international updated one. blown all fuel lines out no clogg found. inspected fuel tanks no trash or problems found there. with service maxx can monitor fuel pressure showing 75 psi at idle.
are u still looking into this with me?
still needing help on this. I can leave my number if its easier. I have done extensive troubleshooting already just to the point of trying to get some more insite on this system or letting it go to the dealer.
I can help for sure
Sorry for the delay but I was at work a lot longer than I expected to be today
no prb completely understand
you mentioned that you have servicemax! Perhaps a phone call would help us get to a resolution quicker
This is completely up to you. We can continue on here but it will take longer
I can do the phone call. but I'm currently away from the truck. and won't be back at it till Monday. so I can give u everything I have done up to this point and let u chew on everything.
Ok... I work steady day shift and I'm usually on here on evenings and weekends... But go ahead and send me everything you know including an image of the faults you have in memory currently
I don't have a image of the faults I just wrote them down. but first fault is 94-1 for low fuel delivery pressure critical. second code is 94-17 for low fuel delivery pressure low.
this truck has been to me 4 times now for this problem in the last month. every time customer gets it may work for one day may make it only 20 miles from my shop. it will be doing fine then loose power and then die. they say it won't restart. so we tow it back and start over.
every time same to codes are in it. first. we did a full service on unit. test drove unit would not get out of its own way. found cylinder 1 dead. r&r injector. during tear down found turbo pushing oil. so replaced it as well.

Ok so the fuel filter has been replaced with the proper OEM filter? And strainer has been cleaned ?

I know there is an issue with aftermarket filters for this model causing issues and collapsing .

I work for a dealer and have seen many times where the fuel inlet hose connects into the fuel module assy , there is a check valve behind that voss type fitting. If you disconnect the fuel line, and remove that brass fitting out of the module , have a look at that check valve cause it has a plastic rock catcher that sometimes has something caught in it causing fuel restriction. Therefore, you would have low fuel pressure at times.

Also , you can check the fuel pump relay inside in the fuse panel at the very right side . It may also be getting intermittent connectivity from spread terminals and loss of pin grip. I have seen this cause no starts and intermittent issues as well.

Can you test fuel pressure at the fuel schrader valve located on the fuel rail itself? I t looks like a valve stem located on the left side of engine above the high pressure pump but threaded in the fuel rail. It should at about 90 psi there while engine is running. I also like to be able to check for aeration to make sure there is none . For that , we use a fuel pressure tester that has a "t" fitting in it with an extra shutoff and a clear line . That way , you can open the shut off and watch the fuel coming out of the clear line to check for air.

after repair test drive all seemed ok. customer took unit made it 320 miles then died and no restart. went back in found out about fuel pump and strainer. removed found clogged with trash. metal flake and looked like algy. replaced pump and screen and installed oem fuel filter after cleaning fuel filter housing. also replaced regulator in bottom of housing with international updated one. ran unit for roughly 250 miles no prb. let customer have back ran a day no prb then same issue loss power and died. no restart got truck towed back. blow all fuel lines out no prb found fuel tanks are clean. customer need truck tried to run it made 10 miles from shop it died. but restarted and he brought it back. and that where I am at now.

Same fuel related faults only ? nothing else?

correct.

Did we check that fitting I just mentionned?

have not manually checked fuel pressure yet. and no did not know about that check vavle so monday ill check both.
downloading app to view pic.

You just need to click on the link. It should work

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jxzpasu6fvgjew/gauge.PNG?dl=0

This is what our fuel pressure tester looks like.

You connect to the rail, run the engine, check fuel pressure( 90 psi ) , and open the valve a bit to watch fuel come out of clear line and into a bucket and observe for air in fuel

in the first pic I don't see a 1

If there is nothing in the fuel tanks at all for sure, then perhaps the fuel standpipe may be threaded too deep into the tank and hitting the bottom on occasion. causing intermittent restriction.

I'm sorry... I meant number 10

If you disconnect the fuel line and remove the fitting , you will see what i mean.

the fuel pressure tool I have similar so I should be good there. the tanks where acid wash before customer bought truck.
should have said that to customer just bought 6 weeks ago and then had a huge water tank mounted on it then when they picked it up that's when all this happen on there first load with truck.
now the fuel pressure check is at idle?

Ok... is it possible they pulled the stand pipes out when cleaned? They may have put them back in maybe too deep and are plugging up against the bottom of fuel tank

possibly I will have to check that.

I would try loosening them one full turn if possible

ok ill check them I believe they are welded in tank but I will have to check it. now one thing I found online says about the filter base returning to much fuel do to a prb in base. but no one could say why.
As long as you are sitting around 90 psi in the rail ... It doesn't matter how much returns at that point !
ok. well I 'll check all that Monday and see where it leads.

Sounds good! Thanks and have a great weekend!

u to and thank u for the insite.
I'll let u know what I discover.

Ok thanks

Please send me an update when u can on Monday and please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end ! I am not an employee of this site so I do not receive anything for my time and efforts unless I have a fair rating on a question. Thanks

Checked fitting on filter base found clean and moving freely with no restriction. Inspected stand pipe in tanks both are ok and welded in to tank. Tested fuel pressure unit has 73 psi at key on with just pump running. Unit started and idle only getting 73 psi and does not fluctuate, at full throttle in shop unit still only has 73 psi and no fluctuating. Tested for air in system the way u described I'm not getting air bubbles out of system at all solid continues fuel.
Are you getting 73 psi at the rail ? At the Schrader valve ? The pressure sensor only reads up to 75 psi so it should read 75 psi all the time . It reads on the dirty side of fuel system . The Schrader valve is on the clean side .
I would try connecting to an alternative fuel source and see if your fuel pressure is better ... Should be sitting around 90 to 100 psi at the fuel Schrader valve .
By doing this , we are proving that the problem is in the fuel tank or lines to the filter housing
at the schrader vavle only getting 73 psi. ok give me a a little bit here to hook it up to alternate fuel system and try.
ok ran it out of clean 5 gal bucket still at shrader vavle only getting 73 psi and at compucheck "dirty fuel" getting 68 psi.
the pick up tube is not welded into tank I removed it and reset it up higher, and getting same results.
this unit has 2 tanks but only run's off driver side tank. it has a electric pump that transfer fuel from passenger side to driver side.
that stand pipe and the return from engine are welded into tank the pick up tube for engine is threaded down.
If I understand this system correctly the electric fuel pump with the strainer on it is what creates fuel pressure in this system? Cause from I can find there is no mechanical fuel pump, or i'm missing something.

Can we do a phone call ? We can settle this quicker if we go over the phone .

I can do a phone just let me know when is a good time so I can be with the truck.
I am at home ... Just gonna shower ... Anytime you're ready
sorry I got tied up on another truck. I'm good all day tomorrow.
Ok ... No problem ... We can shoot for later today after work around 5-6 eastern.
that will work ill have the truck in the shop with everthing ready to go.
I will be home in a few moments
ok trucks inside I need like 20 mins to finish another truck then should be set.
Here is the phone offer
I am ready
my numbet is(###) ###-#### ready when u are.
ok just a update. fuel pressure regulator was incorrect per international. installed the correct one. we have 93 psi fuel pressure now. test drove today no prb as of yet. going to run unit all day tomorrow and recheck it Monday. if all stays good. then releasing it back to customer.
hey Andy. so the truck left and is back for same problem again. here is a screen shot of the faults it kicked up this time.
it wont let me post it.
You should be able to post
Which code comes active
not sure they said cel came on when unit lost power then it shutdown again. we went to customer location and pulled faults and these where the codes in unit. when the unit left all codes where cleared out of truck. We drove truck back to our shop from customer location no cel, no loss of power, no dieing.
Ok but are the fuel codes there from before ? Did you clear codes after replacing the regulator?
got a question. going over the wireing and not sure on something. the power wire to the efp. there's a splice and it goes back to the black ecm connector on pin E-69. why does the ecm care if the efp is getting power if it controls the grnd to the run relay?
it calls the circuit EFPM
I know the first line of engines had 5 pins to the pump
... Then they changed to 3 pin ...
They were on the data link
Now they are just controlled by relay
right but per the schematic it shows the power spliced and going back to the ecm not the data link wires.
when I undid the ecm connector to check pins there is a pin in that socket.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1uwg67b1aip7lb/2010%20maxxforce%20dt%20wiring.pdf?dl=0
Here is diagram ... I am still at work ... Ttyl