Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Cat c 15 engine Abruptly today my fuel gauge just stopped…

Cat c 15 engine Abruptly today...
Cat c 15 engine
Abruptly today my fuel gauge just stopped working. I fueled up. I ran about 200 miles when all of a sudden it just flat lined. I have fuel in the tanks.
The Truck is a 2005 Freightliner classic.
Is there a fuse for this?
Is this the gauge?
Or is there a blocked vacuum line?
Is there a pump that stopped working?
I am not noticing any other issues with my Truck aside from that problem.Thank you in advance
3/22/2018
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I’m Wayne.

I will be assisting you with this issue today.

when the needle lays on empty that is a broken wire

check the connection at the fuel tank if good

take the float out the 5 screws

the float may have broken off the lever arm

if the needle stays on the full mark the wire is shorted to ground

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

Found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

There's a float in the tanks? Similar to cars? I mean, I know on a car, the float is generally connected to the fuel pump which is in the top of the fuel tank. But I don't even know where the fuel pump is on my Truck.
Which means that I don't know where the float is, and therefore don't know what 5 screws you are referring to.

Hi

Not like cars today , 1970 cars

the float is a round circular on the top of the tank

and a wire going to it

Ok. I looked. And on my drivers side tank, sure enough is a corroded wire. Is that fairly easy to replace? It's up under my sleeper so to see screws, I can't. But if it's fairly easy I can change it myself?

Hi

Yes you DO NOT NEED TO PULL THE FLOAT OUT

just cut the end of the wire off and put back on the stud,

or take it to flying J and give them $20.00 to fix the wire

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​

Please remember to rate my answer 5-stars so I get the credit for the question

I'm at Ta and they just quoted Me 150 to fix it. Because of the hourly rate or whatever. Flying j don't do Repair. Boss does, loves does. But Flying j has not had Repair in the 14 years i've been driving. As for that wire... the stud that you refer is so badly corroded that it can't be just connected there again. Is it safe to run it with a loop terminal under one of the other screws? Or better to just strip the wire off and wrap it around what ever is left of that stud? Will the exposed wire be problematic?

HI

That is crazy $150.00,

yes you can remove the wire

I believe the nut is 11/32 or 3/8

remove it and put the wire back on with a new terminal

Wayne, Journeyman
Thank you very much Wayne!!! I agree. But if it wasn't for the reaming of customers, they'd Make no money. LolGoing to rate now sir, thank you again and have a great night.

Thank you