Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 1998 dt466e that wont start. 4900 international,

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 dt466e that wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

4900 international, vin# *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes,ive put a new transfer and priming pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have also ran a fuel line from inlet by primer pump to 5 gal container of diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok,great ,ive ran out of tricks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/22/2018
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 3 months ago
Alex Olsen

hi im alex, do you have a scan tool or anything that reads live engine data?

im plugged in right know ,at crank i have around 1000 psi icp and 40 psi eng oil
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 3 months ago

ok well that is good, how about fuel pressure? measured at the shcrader valve on the filter housing

0 fuel pressure at cranking,ypu feel the primer pump pick up fuel but it doesn't get hard to pump,like it by passes somwhere in the system ,both tranfer and primer pumps are new
I was checing fuel lines and my wrench hit the filter, it sounded funny pulled filter its empty
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 3 months ago

ok, just to the rear of the primer pump there is a cap with a philips head, remove that cap and under it you will find a rubber check ball, make sure it is intact

I got it going, pressure reg valve on back of head
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 3 months ago

ok great, that was going to be the next thing i was goign to have you check, i would still check the rubber ball have seen a ton of them erroded

It was good
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 3 months ago

ok good, have seen them break apart and get stuck in the filter header cause low power and hard starts