Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Having issues with locating the ambient temperature sensor,

Customer Question
Having issues with locating...

Having issues with locating the ambient temperature sensor, not the outside temperature sensor but the ambient. It's not in the driver's mirror and the one behind the bumper is the outside temperature. Truck is 2011 Freightliner Cascadia DD15

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

VIN: 1FUJGLDR1ASAP0666

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope, that's the only thing i am having a hard time with

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 4 months ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi

I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today.

Ambient and outdoor

temp is the same thing??

Hi Wayne.No, when connected the truck to the diagnostic software from manufacturer, the outdoor (outside) temperature sensor is the on the passenger side on front bumper, we connected it and disconnected it several times and replaced it to make sure the systems recognize it correctly.The ambient temperature sensor is nowhere to be found.We checked behind the grille, the middle of bumper, the mirrors. It’s nowhere.Now, we don’t really know how exactly it’s supposed to look like either and we don’t know if it’s somewhere on the engine compartment which is quite big and would be hard to find a sensor the size if a pinky.Any suggestions?

Morning

I am going to send this to 2 other experts friends of mine

see if they can help you

This one has me confused as I say they are both the same

PS hang tight for the other 2 experts

Technician: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 4 months ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman

Good morning,

here is a list of all engine sensors and locations on your engine

click here

If you need more assistance please post code and description you are seeing

Please
Rate my service by using the stars at the top of the page.
Just Answer can only compensate me for my time and resources after positive
feedback rating thus rating is required
Thank you Very Much

Good MorningCustomerUnfortunately the scheme from the link you sent does not contain the sensor we are looking for.It's called: Ambient Temperature Sensor and it is not the same as outside (outdoor) temperature sensor.Will send a few pics in a couple minutes to show the difference.Still did not locate the sensor.Thank you

I understand the question That's why I asked for the code information

Tell me what issues are you having or code info

some times names of sensors are changed up and called different things but it is the same sensor

when you have diagnostics hooked up you can try disconnecting engine sensors mainly barometric pressure and air intake temp sensor to see if it changes on tool

if this is a cab sensor let me know

Thanks

Hi thereSorry it took so long to answer
Here's the code we're getting for some time now and we can't find the location of it.
Again, it's not same as outside air temperature becaause we disconnected that one and we get extra code for it.This is something on it's own.Thank you

Check for sensor on frame(behind of drive axles, plastic sensor ziptie-d to air lines

The file I'm downloading has pic of sensor

some trucks have more than one sensor

behind drive axle, in mirror, or behind bumper

may also be back farther ambient air temperature sensor is on the frame just in front of the tail lights zip tide to the wiring.

Let me know

Technician: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 3 months ago

**********Please don’t forget to rate or accept the answer in a positive way, .**********
EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****
You may still ask follow up questions at no extra charge after rating.
Thank You