Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

09 Freightliner won`t stop regen, Vin#1FVACYDJX9HAF2458

09 Freightliner won`t stop...

09 Freightliner won`t stop regen

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Vin#1FVACYDJX9HAF2458 MB900 M2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Doser Block and Nozzle New Dpf filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

That would be all. Just the performance of the After Treatment system (no working)

Customer reply replied 30 days ago

Leaving work now can you call my phone or text / or home email **********************

3/22/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

What do you mean it won't stop doing the regen? Meaning you start it and it continues to run?

Do you have a laptop connected tht is giving the temps and the DPF differential pressure?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have the laptop on it ,using the Jaltest program. The inlet temp at the doc is 715degree the outlet temp is 785. the temp behind the particulate 759. I have have purged the new dossier block with the prompts on the laptop many times. Also changed the #7 injector nozzle. The particulate filter is new from Freightliner installed Late January. I have not put a fuel pressure gauge on the motor. the codes that continually come back are ( 3719 FMI 1 0X 1) 93480 FMI 1 X2). Also made sure the the injector passage was not clogged. Amber engine light red engine protect the engine will shut down after a short time at idle.

What engine?

I'm not familiar with the Jaltest program for I use JPro and OEM programs only. Your temps look good. What does the DPF differential pressure show?

Never mind, I got the VIN. It just came up. 3719 is high soot load. When the filter was changed, was the maintenance reset done on the filter? Can you do that with the Jaltest program? If so, do the DPF maintenance reset for the filter is showing to be full of soot right now. If the DPF diff pressure is above .5 and under .9, it will have soot in it. If it is above .9, the filter has no soot and the calibration is off.

Most likely what is going on is the filter was changed and the filter reset was not performed or did not take, so the vehicle is seeing the empty filter as a fully loaded soot high condition and is running the regen to clear out the filter, but the filter is cleaned out and will run that regen for a long time, like over an hour before the timer will trigger and eventually shut the truck down and throw the soot high codes. We see it all the time when techs miss that important step or the trucks didn't take the filter rest. I always run the reset twice to make sure the truck took the reset to prevent the exact issue you are having. Those MBE 900 engines are very picky on having that done and will run the regens when the filter shows approx 30% full, but a clean filter can show that if it is clean and the rest was not done.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have not been able to view the pressures while using the laptop the graph will only show the temps that I mentioned.I am able to start the regen manually now, but the thing will just keep running. So I believe Im at the right temp for the fuel to be injected , into the doc. I even bled the line while purging to confirm the fuel was exiting the dossier block ,It is sending fuel out. Just need to get the temps up to 1000.degree . The 3719 soot code I get but the 3480 code has got me hung up

The 3480 is Fuel Compensation abnormal. That could be from the fuel pump putting out low fuel pressure or the sensor itself. You mentioned you did the doser already which does cause the code, and if that thing isn't leaking and fuel will spray out, then it will be the fuel pump (most rare) or the sensor (most likely). That is the sensor right on the doser block. Pull it off and clean it, then see if it resolves. It may need to be replaced. I'll pull the info for it.

Fuel compensation - pressure abnormal

If 3480-14 active, fix those first.

Probable causes:

1) HC doser or fuel doser injector valve fuel lines are blocked or leaking
2) Low pressure fuel out of spec (10-65 psi)
3) Fuel compensation pressure sensor
4) Perform parked regen

CLICK HERE for the repair.

That sensor is nearly the cause of that 3480 code every time once the doser is ruled out from having build up on it.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
This seems most helpful at this point. Let me give the reset dpf filter a shot in morning . I will be able to check back after that to see if that works. The compensation sensor is brand new and part of the doser module that I replaced so I`m not thinking it is bad ,it was replaced because of this issue. I start work early in am so I`ll get back to you with the results .

Give that a shot then and just message when you can. I am east coast time. My routine is shop stuff in the early AM to get jobs assigned, call customers, bill outs, etc and usually free myself from that after 930 to 10ish. It just depends on the workload of who is waiting at the gate at 7 am.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I will and Thanks for taking the time to help. The Regen systems are the new nightmare and they are all starting to come out of warranty . The servicing has not been a problem so much if you can over look the cost. I`v serviced DPF filters but never done resets, so I will be busy after I get over this hump.

We're no longer engine or electrical techs. We're exhaust techs now... I spend more time working on regen systems than I do anything else.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hey Jeremy. Just wanted to follow up with you . I sent the truck to an outside vendor , I tried the reset as you recommended. The vendor I sent it to seems to be certain the DOC Is NG . I`ll try to follow up with the results. Thanks DJ

How is the DOC no good? All that can happen with it is it gets faceplugged which just requires the screen in there to get cleaned out or the doser block isn't spraying into it. And there is the sensor not reading right. Otherwise, there isn't much else that can go wrong with the DOC.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician