Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I am swapping a cat 3176 out of a 1991 frieghtliner into a…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** i am swapping a cat 3176 out of a 1991 frieghtliner into a 2001 international 4900 need to know if i have power hooked up to ecm correctly i have got it to crank over but wont fire up the serial number for the 3176 is 7lg22633 any help would be appreiated

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

3176 serial# ***** ar#4p9724 oem#2006238c92

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/22/2018
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 3 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

All I can do is provide a shematic for you since this is a swap to a engine that isn't part of the chassis. If that will help, let me know and I will provide the engine diagram for you. It has the ECM pinouts and how the power would go to the ECM and from where (roughly) from the chassis. Engine swaps are a bit more difficult only for that reason. Especially on a 10 year old engine without the older J1708 multiplex like the 2001 chassis uses.

Let me know if the diagram will assist or what you need to help you get this done. I agree though, start with the ECM main power and grounds, then the diagnostic connector and get CAT ET hooked up and see if the engine is reading all the sensors it needs to be reading.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

hi jeremy the schematic is what i am looking for the book i have is more for the truck than the motor. if you could send me something on fuel line routing i believe i have it right but have not been able to get primer pump to pump up hard so i am not sure. just so you know i am pretty good with a wrench fair with a test meter follow directions very well but have not worked on diesels much.

I don't have the fuel routing diagram for this engine. I'm a Network Engineer, which is a specialized electrician in this field. I don't have any fuel stuff for then engine, sadly.

I will say though (from the top of my head) the fuel goes from the tank, to the pre filter with heater (if it has one), then the 2nd filter, then through the ECM cooler (again if it has one) then to the pump. Then it goes from the pump to the engine, then out the engine to the return. That much I know.

CLICK HERE for the ECM and engine diagram.

My suggestion, for the mechanical stuff on the engine, open a new question and ask for Catman in particular. Start the question with Catman, I need only your help with blah blah blah on the engine. He is the CAT truck engine specialist on the site. He's cranked wrenches on them for over 40 years and teaches techs how to work on them. I'm sure he will have the engine manuals, fuel routing, etc.

this is a 2yg schematic i need a 7lg schematic very similar

I misread. That is the 3176B engine. I'll have to go to the paper manual for that one. The pdf may not match it, but I can scan it and load it.

These are from the book. The book shows 7LG1-UP as one of the serial number matches.

PAGE 1 CLICK HERE

PAGE 2 CLICK HERE

and this is the PDF, the only other 3176 diagram CAT has. CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE for the one on the Motor Systems disk. It will probably be cleaner than the book scan. I forgot I had this old disk.

hi jeremy sorry but none of these are right. the one i found that worked for the truck was for a fld conventional it had same circuit numbers and were oriented in plug the same for rest of truck. if you could try agian it would be much appreciated thanks mark.

Those are all I have and I pulled the first ones right off of CAT.

I'll opt out and close the files.

Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 3 months ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** Are you looking for chassis wiring for this?

Do you still need help ?

Is there anything that you need or can we close this question?