Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

On a 2012 Freightliner Sprinter: I have a P20BD code coming…

On a 2012 Freightliner Sprinter...
On a 2012 Freightliner Sprinter: I have a P20BD code coming up. What do I need to do to solve the issue?
3/22/2018
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Ths code sets when there is a fault with the DEF ( exhaust fluid ) tank heater itself.You will need to have the wiring checked leading to it to make sure there is no wiring damage or issues.Most of the time or in most cases it is the DEF heater itself that has to be replaced to resolve this issue.I don't show a repair procedure myself on this but it looks like it can run around $900 to $1000 for the heater with labor to replace it.This usually needs to be purchased from a dealer.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

What is the test procedure to check the DEF heater and where is it located?

It should be part of the ad blue tank itself located on the side/passenger side of the vehicle shown as #2 below.From what I see the entire tank has to be replaced which is why the cost is so high.The heater is part of the tank itself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcsa0imh3a51074/adblue-03-22.pdf?dl=0

The only testing procedure I see for this is done with the computer plugged into the data port.It walks you through the testing for this code.This has to be done with a compatible computer for this model as some after market scan tools will not run the testing needed, unfortunately.In most every case I have seen the heater was the cause and had to be replaced.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic