Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2007 freightliner century and i have a hard start…

i have a 2007 freightliner...
i have a 2007 freightliner century and i have a hard start only in the morning or after more than six hour after shout down, i was told to change the valve at the back of the cylinder head on the return pipe, but nothing have change. anyone with a help on this i would apriciate. it a detroit 60 series
3/22/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

you are getting drain back to the tanks and the head is not the only place to check. Do you have the see through filter on this If so, in the morning before starting, see if you can see fuel in the bottom of the bowl. If not, there is a plastic ball with a small metal spring under the filter. That is one of the anti-drain back check valves. Replace that ball and spring. It is cheap, like less than $20 for that kit. It will cause a LOT of hard starts on these for the fuel draining back.

After that, use propane or starting fluid on the fuel lines and see if the engine revs up. That indicates a crack in the fuel line or a bad o-ring at the connections. Do that "prior" to the fuel pump. That side is all suction and if you have a air leak, it will be on that side of the system.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
i did change that check valve but nothing changed also, maybe i try that starting fluid thing. do you have any other idea

The only other location that you have is the cooling plate for the ECM. If it gets trash in it (it is like a radiator with the fuel flow) it can cause the fuel to drain back. Otherwise, it will be a leak prior to the fuel pump or in the fuel pump. That is if it is fuel related.

The SRS and TRS sensors can cause a hard start, but not often. They cause more no starts, but I have seen the SRS (the one on the CAM) act up and cause a hard start condition from it not getting a good, clear reading. Fuel is certainly the first to look at and the biggest telling factor is if the fuel filter is drained. If so, then you know the fuel lines are leaking somewhere. Otherwise, it is the return (which you resolved) or a timing match on the electronics.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
how to clean this plate on the ECM

The easiest is a radiator shop and let them flush it with their chemicals. That is what I do with my local one.

If not available, hold finger on one side, put mineral spirits (parts cleaner) in the other end, shake it vigorously, then push shop air through it until is blows dry, then do it again the other way. It will get out whatever is caught in there.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician