Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

We have a C32 reading fault codes 42, 56 ,268-2,

Customer Question
We have a C32...

We have a C32 reading fault codes 42, 56 ,268-2, 261-13,168-1. new cat flased ecu fitted , ran for 30 minutes ok on parrell batteries but when switched to own battery bank stoped with above codes

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Fairline motor boat twin C32 aset engines

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Battery test shows internal battery bank fault on this engine start bank

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/21/2018
Technician: cat_engines_only, Other replied 4 months ago
cat_engines_only

I recognize the 168-1 code as low battery power code. Have you checked for power supply to the engine run switch or the key on switch?

Can you post the complete engine serial number with your reply? This will help me locate the correct information for your engine.

Where are you getting these fault codes from? Do you have a code reader or indicator lamp?

Were other numbers related to the 42 and 56 you posted?

Do you think the battery bank connection is faulty? Have you checked all the cables from the batteries to the switch and to the engine?

fault code 168-1 is low battery, our 161-13 speed timing issue may be due to low battery
model C32 , ECM soft ware2641229,ser no slt00290, ar no(###) ###-####
yes fault code 42 and 56 all read from remote helm board
conection fime , battery condition suspect, alternator charging

When the engine died, could you see the battery voltage?

Note, if this is a 24-volt engine when ECM fails below 18 volts, the engine will shut off.

Do you have a way to load test these batteries? Are they standard equipment batteries? (CAT sizes are often 4D or 8D large batteries)

The vessel is in a remote location, however we have call in our elecy to test batteries on way, also fault with auto parrel switch as not engaging house bank with start batteries.
can a prolonged battery issue damage ECU?

The low voltage shut off is the safety feature of the ECM to protect it. Usually, I see the damage when an overvoltage is used for starting. Like, sending it 36 volts on a 24-volt system. ( I am not sure of the voltage used there, here it is often 24 volts for these engines.)

The 42 and 56 codes are just the display or "flash" codes and mean the same as 261-13 (42) and 268-02 (56).

268-02 is programmable parameters and could be a setting used incorrectly if it only appeared once I would not be concerned with a logged code. If it remains active then further troubleshooting will be needed.

The Engine timing code is very strange though. That only appears when a new ECM is installed. It is possible your ECM has been damaged. Special tooling is required to calibrate the engine timing and the dealer may be needed to complete this task.

I assume this code is still present as active?

Does the other engine have any voltage codes?

new ECU flashed and installed as old ECU crashed after cascading fails
code 268-1 only appeared once before engine shut down itself
code present and active ,other engine on separate battery bank is ok no issue

Was the timing calibration done after the new ECM was installed? It is the only way to clear this code.

Are you sure it is 268-1 or 268-13. You posted earlier you had a 131-13.

no timing calibration not done after install, ECU flashed by CAT workshop and flown to vessel.
268-1 or 268-13 correct. 131-13 miss print

Let me look up what is required for timing calibration. Just want to be sure it is not available any other way.

I know machines need a probe installed in the engine and then connected to the ECM to complete this. I am not sure on marine engines though.

Yes, it is required to add a calibration probe and use CAT ET program to complete the calibration.

And, if you still have the 268-02 code, other parameters are missing as well.

I was told if the calibration is not done, on some engines, the engine will shut down until the procedure is completed.

I cannot find any documentation to prove that is true and I have not seen it in the field.

I wish I could offer some way to reset it but, without CAT ET and the timing probe setup, I don't think this engine will do much more than start and idle if it would do that.