Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2013 Kenworth with Cummins ISX 15 450. Truck has…

I have a 2013 Kenworth...
I have a 2013 Kenworth with Cummins ISX 15 450. Truck has been pushing coolant out overflow I did the
water bottle test from over flow hose and seen air bubbles and mechanic has done combustion test so seems like I have a blown head gasket. Truck never ran hot so I’m thinking from what I’ve been reading it’s a liner protusion problem. What are your thoughts on this and is the average repair cost?
3/20/2018
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

Correct if there is excessive pressure in the coolant system the likely cause is a failed liner that took out the head gasket. The head will need to be removed liner protrusion checked, If the protrusion is out of spec your pretty much looking at an overhaul. New (updated) liners, pistons,Block cutting for new liners and shims, head if found failed . And most shops do a bearing check. This is a known issue with these engines avg cost could be upward of 10k depending on shop and parts mark up. If your still under warranty take to a Cummins shop for repair ASAP. Please take a moment To Rate/Accept my service

Truck has an after market warranty on it 669000 miles it doesn’t cover head gasket and cylinder liners unless a covered part cause failure if this a known issue with Cummins do you think I will have any luck with this?

No that's a tough sell and that is WHY the AMW will not cover this issue. I did not know if you had like Cummins extended warranty or not. So unless the engine comes apart and the shop finds something "else" that is covered under your AMW. The repair all on you.. You can always try to contact Cummins for repair direction but if you not a big fleet or buy a lot of engines .It's not gona happen either. I would still try to get some assistance from Cummins if possible.

Remember the squeaky wheel always gets the grease.

Ok thanks for your help

Your very welcome. Please take a moment To Rate/Accept my service. Thank You

cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic