Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2007 freightliner mt series w/ mbe. code sid248 2.

Customer Question
2007 freightliner mt series...

2007 freightliner mt series w/ mbe. code sid248 2

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

4uzaapdh67cy15379 utilimaster van

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. found repair info to test voltages at vcu. problem is they say test at 16 pin connector and this truck has no 16 pin. it has 21 pin 18 pin and 15 pin. 1 plug in vcu has 12 but no plug into it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Dash gauges continuously sweep with key on

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/20/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

ok, let me know. thx
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
What is the engine model in this truck? Do you have the MBE 900 by chance?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

248 02 – NO COMMUNICATION BETWEEN VCU AND PLD

Perform the following steps to troubleshoot a loss of communication between the VCU and PLD. NOTE: If fault code is inactive and the engine starts, the most likely cause is a poor electrical connection; careful inspection of all mentioned connectors below is necessary. 1. Is the fault code active? [a] Yes, go to step 10. No, go to step 2. 2. Inspect all battery terminals for clean and proper connection. 3. Inspect the C1 ground stud for clean and proper connection. 4. Inspect the under hood fuse box for clean and proper battery connection and voltage supply. 5. Disconnect the VCU 21-pin connector. 6. Turn the Ignition switch to the ON position. 7. Measure the voltage between pin 21/1 of the VCU 21-pin connector and battery ground. [a] If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 8. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair the cause of low/no voltage to pin 21/1 of the VCU 21-pin connector. 8. The Ignition switch MUST be in the CRANK position for this measurement. Measure the voltage between pin 21/2 of the VCU 21-pin connector and battery ground. [a] If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 9. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair the cause of low/no voltage to pin 21/2 of the VCU 21-pin connector. 9. Measure the voltage between pin 21/1 and 21/3 of the VCU 21-pin connector. [a] If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 10. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair wire between 21/3 of the VCU 21-pin connector and battery ground. 10. Disconnect the PLD 16-pin connector. 11. Turn the Ignition ON. 12. Measure the voltage between pin 16/5 of the PLD 16-pin connector and battery ground. [a] If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 13. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair cause of low/no voltage to pin 16/5 of the PLD 16-pin connector. 13. Measure the voltage between pin 16/6 of the PLD 16-pin connector and battery ground. [a] If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 14. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair the cause of low/no voltage to pin 16/6 of the PLD 16-pin connector. 14. The Ignition switch MUST be in the CRANK position for this measurement. Measure the voltage between pin 16/15 of the PLD 16-pin connector and battery ground. [a] If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 15. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair the cause of low/no voltage to pin 16/15 of the PLD 16-pin connector. 15. Measure the voltage between pin 16/5 and 16/9 of the PLD 16-pin connector. [a] If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, go to step 16. If the voltage is less than 11 volts, repair wire between 16/9 of the PLD 16-pin connector and battery ground. 16. Measure the voltage between pin 16/5 and 16/11 of the PLD 16-pin connector. [a] If the voltage is greater than 11 volts, note all voltage measurements taken and contact the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center at 313–592–5800 for further instructions. If the voltage is less than 11 voltage, repair wire between 16/11 of the PLD 16-pin connector and battery ground.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

There is only a 21, 18 and 15 pin connectors
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Again, I asked for the engine model information? I guessed it is MBE as I have not received confirmation. Could you get this for me from the engine ID tag and let me know the trans model as well?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi, did you get the engine model info so I am not positing random possible diagrams and pinouts? Let me know.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Click on this link for the chassis info. Let me know.

Service info

iy comes up as mbe on the scanner. they put a serial # tag probably from utilimaster over the Mercedes tag
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
I'm not surprised with these box utility vans it is always something that they do to make it tougher to identify certain things. That is par for the course for these unfortunately.
om924 la is the motor listed, Allison trans, do you need numbers
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

All my info lists the standard connectors as well. Im going to opt out and pass this one along to others. These step vans can be a nightmare when trying to access the correct electrical diagrams.