Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

This question is regarding Volvo 2013 VNL64670. We have

noticed the oil level is...
This question is regarding Volvo 2013 VNL64670. We have noticed the oil level is higher than the normal level by about 1''. Is this something that we need to be concerned? Btw, all 6 injectors are changed recently. The truck has about 387,000 miles on it.
3/20/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

What engine do you have?

I'm presuming you have this oil build since the injector replacement? As in the oil was at normal level when checked after the replacement?

Does the oil smell like fuel or feel thin?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

The engine is Volvo D13. The oil level before the injector replaced was about 3'' above the normal level and the oil was kind of thin and smell like fuel, but now since the oil changed after the replacement of the injectors I don't notice this.

I'm presuming the oil was filled to the full mark then and the oil is still building? The oil is not getting a milk look to it, is it?

Doesn't have milk look. It seems remains at 1'' above the level. I drove about 500 miles after the service.

That sounds like heat expansion over overfilling then.

The engines do hold a little bit in the oil cooler and turbo after they drain out. If there was a sludge block in the oil cooler, then it will hold a small amount (usually 1/2 a quart) in the upper part of the engine in the head tubes and won't allow draining. That's why on those Volvo engines techs will fill them to the midline on the dip stick, sometimes leaving a quart out. Volvo engines do that and techs are still baffled why, but can only blame it on a sludge pocket in the oil cooler. That may be the case here if you are not getting any build on the level at all.

OK. So it is can be considered normal for Volvo engine? We just don’t need to fill up oil upto the top level?

Correct. Fill it to the mid mark because it expands and holds oil in the upper. The Volvo is really bad about it especially the ones with the oil thermostats in the oil cooler.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician