Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2006 western star with a Detroit series 60. I lost boost and…

Customer Question
2006 western star with...

2006 western star with a Detroit series 60. I lost boost and no turbo pressure. We just changed out the vpod and still no change. We can see that the actuator on the turbo is not moving. We have gone through and check for the plugs to see if they are hot. Any idea what I need to do here? We just put the brand new vpod on and saw online that some come out of the box bad

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2006 western star Detroit series 60 14 L.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What fault codes are logged in history?

No access to a computer, no check engine light or anything has been coming on
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
Thanks for the update. If you were having no response from the turbo or Turbo actuator then remove the intake boot from the vgt turbo and check for damage or signs of oil and be sure that the compressor wheel spins freely without drag and does not contact the housing. Also make sure that the actuator is not mechanically sticking due to excessive or carbon buildup in the turbo vanes. If so the turbo or actuator will need replacement or rebuild.... Some people have had success cleaning them and there are some videos on YouTube on the process of cleaning a vgt turbo. However if someone is not comfortable doing so they should either have somebody else do it for them or go with a replacement just to be sure and not take any chances. Also pressure test your charge air cooler and your air intake piping to be sure there are no leaks causing a loss of boost pressure. Let me know the results and please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.