Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Cruise cntrol on my volvo 780 with automatic transmission…

Cruise cntrol on my...

Cruise cntrol on my volvo 780 with automatic transmission stopped working.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

07' volvo vnl 780, volvo d12 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried to check behind the driver side covered panel near foot pedals to see if i could find any loose wires. just had a eld put in last week

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. signal lights and hazard still works

3/19/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. What do you have logged for fault codes in the ECM memory?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got a fuel feed pressure fault but it's been coming up for months. Cruise just stopped last week
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not a water in fuel problem. New filters, new fuel.
Thanks for the update. The most common cause for cruise control failure are faulty clutch or brake switches. If the wiring or switches have failed it will disable your cruise control functions. I would also test all your fuses and check your relays as well. If you have no other fault codes 4 speed sensors or throttle position sensor, etc. Then check your Clutch and Brake switches for proper operation. Most shops would just plug a laptop in and be able to watch switch status whether engaged or disengaged live right from the laptop. Let me know the results. Please remember to take a moment to write my answers as that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site. Five-star ratings in bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. My truck is an automatic by the way.
Thanks for the update. That would mean that the TCM or transmission control module communicates with the engine ECM and can affect Cruise. Speed sensor signal is also important. If your brake switch is okay and wiring is okay then it is best to have the scan tool connected to be able to monitor switch status for much easier troubleshooting.

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson