Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a question, I have a customer with multiple isx

Hello I have a question...
Hello I have a question, I have a customer with multiple isx cummins, in the summer months the engine oil temp gets pretty high kicks light on, on one of them we replaced oil coolers and oil cooler thermostat, washed radiator and air to air out, still gets warm is there anything that a guy needs to look for on these have had some other customers with similar problems thanks
3/19/2018
Don
Don, Journeyman

Hi there my name is don i will try to help you on this
can you please give me an idea of the equipment involved ? the climate ?

thanks

don

I would like to talk to cummins dr thanks
Alex Olsen

i am happy to assist, but if you want to wait for cumminsdr i understand

Hey Alex,
I think I may have posted my question in the automotive group, I don't think I paid enough so if I didn't let me know I can make it right, I thing I will talk to cumminsdr for this but I am having a problem with an international no start, I am checking codes right now and I may need some advice so let me check them and will get right back to you thanks

i have been certified on the ISX for 13 years, know my way around it pretty good, let me know though

10-4 sounds good, my question on the isx is I have a customer with high oil temp problems only in the summer months, during winter runs ok, we have replaced oil coolers and turbo, and washed radiator and air to air out, this truck is deleted from all egr and dpf components anything else we should look for?

do they already have the dual cooling element oil cooler?

it has 2 separate oil coolers in the same housing is that what u mean

yes, some were only built with one depending on the HP rating

checked the oil thermostat i assume? what are they running for oil?

got ya, yes when we replaced coolers we replace stat, running 15w40 rotella

coolant isnt running hot?

how hot is the oil running? 240-250?

no it isn't running over normal, customer states that just oil temp will reach a high enough level to kick oil temp light on, I don't have truck here but I think it was running 240ish

ok thats usually around 250, i would check the oil temp with a temp gun compared to what the dash says, i have seen alot of oil temp sensors off

i have seen guys run without an oil thermostat in them too, takes a bit to heat up in the winter but wont get hot in the summer

k I might try that and see what happens still pretty cold here
thanks for the help, can I ask u a question on my international or do you want me to start a new post?

you are supposed to start a new one, but go ahead just put a small tip on this question, your a good customer

i like to take are of people, save you some money

k sounds good, I just had another customer come in I have to take care of him quick I will talk to you right after that thanks

no problem im going to take lunch now so no rush

Ok finally back, I have a 2005 International VIN is 5J179272 actually the same one we worked on for the PDL switch pack last time, customer was out in field and truck shut down, wont crank, checked codes, cant communicate with ecm, and have several codes in esc 639 14 241 254
639 14 228 254
639 14 255 254
639 14 4 240
639 14(###) ###-####14 150 2
I was looking at wiring diagram for ecm power and grounds not the best diagram in the world but I know I have power through my ecm relay and my 10 amp fuse going to ecm, I need to remove ecm connectors and check power and ground there is there anything else to look over before I do that?

no that is defiantly what i would check next

K I will
on my ecm looks like power and ground are in connector X3 and X4 there are three connectors on that ecm which one would be my connector I need, by wiring diagram i cant tell

that is the IDM you are looking at, has 3 black connectors, the ECM has 4 connectors, it is behind the IDM, you need the 2 white connectors on the ecm, X4 is the one closest to the front

oh i see so u have to remove idm to get to ecm

well you can get to in chassis but yeah they are hooked together

ok checked power to ecm, i only had 9 volts at pin 1 and 2 had good ign power at pin 3, went up to power distribution box on fender and checked power at 10 amp fuse only had 9 volts there, messed with ign. relay which i assume it is the ecm relay and now i have no voltage at my 10 amp ecm fuse in fuse box, have u seen problems in them fuse boxes by fender?

oh yeah tons, make sure the terminals are tight in the blocks

ok

i have put alot of terminals in those

terminals all look good, the 10 amp that says ecm power feed is the pin 1 and 2 at the ecm correct, and also the ecm relay is labeled ignition on the fuse box cover or is it the one that says ECM/EGR power relay

there is an IDM relay and an ECM relay

yes that relay supplys pin 1 and 2 of the x4 connector

and you should have ignition power at pin 3 of the x3

Ok I did have 12 volts at pin 3 with ignition on I will have to check my other ones again I will probably start again on Monday will let u know then thanks

sounds good, have a good weekend

Alex Olsen
Think I got it must have been a bad connection at power distribution connector put it all back together and started no codes in system thanks for the help I will leave a tip

sounds good thank you any international or cummins issues fell free to request me, thanks