Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2006 International 4400 cranks but won't start

2006 International 4400 cranks but...
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Please post all fault codes you have logged in the ECM memory as well as the dashboard for body controller codes. I am assuming you have the DT466 engine in this? If not let me know what engine model.
Also let me know if it's an automatic or manual transmission....
Currently no logged codes, manual transmission. It is a DT-466.
If you have a crank no start with no fault codes you will want to First be sure that the check engine light comes on and Cycles at key on which indicates that the ECM is powering up and communicating. If you have no check engine light at key on then you will want to check between the battery box and ECM for a blown inline fuse or a problem with that wiring such as corrosion or other damage to the terminal ends or connector pins. If okay and all your power in grounds to your ECM test out good you can have a faulty engine speed sensor. This engine is known for failed cam/ crank sensors as without engine speed signal to the ECM the injectors will be disabled and unable to fire. This is the number one cause for a crank but no start if the ECM is powered up. Some other causes are related to low ICP pressure however those faults would normally throw a fault code. Since you have no codes a speed sensor will commonly not throw any codes when they fail. Please remember to take a moment to write my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings in bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
The ECM does power up and I can access it with my Pro-link
I show RPM when cranking (150) as well as ICP (900)
I show no fuel pulse width but has 60 psi fuel pressure when cranking
Thanks for the information. Try to see if it will fire off of silicone spray into the turbo as I prefer silicone spray over ether do to the lubricating properties of silicone spray. Since there are no fault codes and it sounds like you have already confirmed all your fuses test good when testing for power on both sides and the IDM relay checks good for power as well. If this is all true and all your fuses and relays test okay and you have good fuel pressure with no leaks or restrictions just be sure that that speed sensor signal is okay. Then I would try to disconnect the ICP sensor and see if you are able to get it to start as disconnecting that sensor will put the ECM into a default mode using default values of ICP pressure. Let me know the results because of all of this tests okay it would begin to narrow this down towards a possible ECM software issue or IDM issue.... However usually a failed IDM will throw fault codes.....
Daniel Wilson
When I tried putting ether to it through the air filter housing (with air filter removed) it would just ether lock. I then removed the duct and sprayed a small amount of ether directly into the intake manifold and got it to fire that way. I kept doing that until it started (in a cloud of white smoke). Once it would run on its own, I reconnected the duct so it could get full turbo boost and full fuel. It's pushing a good bit of white steam so I would suspect a bad EGR cooler or head gasket.
Thanks for the update. Pressure test the cooling system to see if you have a loss of pressure there and that the cooling system is not holding pressure. Also look for white ash deposits in the exhaust connections that would indicate coolant burning on the exhaust manifold or Outlet at the turbo. If so then yes I agree that it is likely an EGR cooler issue and possible head gasket.
Thanks for your help! I'll be in touch the next time I get stuck.

Pleasure to help