Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Having an issue getting a truck to start. It was idling and…

Customer Question
Having an issue getting...

Having an issue getting a truck to start. It was idling and shut off and we have replaced dam near everything and still can’t get it to fire

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2006 international 4300 with a dt466. Only have the last 8 with me 6H230507

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Almost the entire system has been reworked

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/19/2018
Technician: Eurotruck72, workshop foreman replied 3 months ago
Eurotruck72
Eurotruck72, workshop foreman
Does it run on starter fluid or brake cleaner? If you haven't tried it yet, spray some in the air inlet and see if it starts on that. That would mean the engine is okay except it doesn't get fuel. If it helps it might help it to prime if you keep it running for half a minute or so with small puffs in the air intake.
It does not fire on starting fluid
Then it isn't getting air or there will be something mechanical wrong. Closed throttle valve in the inlet would do that or the camshaft timing can be of or broken.
Has new cam position sensor and the timing has been checked via the valve timing
We’re is the throttle valve located and how would you test it
The IPR VALVE is brand new and working fine. We put 12 volts to this unit while cranking the engine and still did not fire

It might not have one but if it does it will be in the air intake. Also maybe the engine brake and/or the exhaust brake is engaged or stuck. Does it have compression (if you don't the starting will be faster than normal)? If there is compression and air flowing in the engine there should be some action from the brake-cleaner fluid. Do you have a engine malfunction light or code on the dash?

No lights and no codes
I will turn the exhaust brake off and try it

Also no lights when you put the ignition on? That would indicate no electric power to the ECU but then it would run on brakecleaner (or starter fluid)

The truck was idling and warming up when it shut off
I have dash lights and power to the ecu. The injectors buzz when you turn the key on
Any luck yet? Was the engine brake one or something else maybe?
The engine brake was turned off and no change. Have air and fuel but no start icp was working as it should and everything appears to be functioning. Obviously there is something I am not catching so I sent it to the dealer today
Okay, please let me know what the problem was. If you appreciate my help please accept the question so I get rewarded by the site

please take time to answer me as I did to try to help you