Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Have been trying to figure this out, check for a short to…

Customer Question
Have been trying to...

Have been trying to figure this out, check for a short to ground. Measure the resistance from pin 16 actuator harness connector to engine block the ground is not more than 100 Kohms , I get 7.8 ohms. This is on an n14 all other test Sem to be fine except for the one mentioned above.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

1993 international / eagle/ n14 celect

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

We'll trying to find out why Ecm burnt since the resistance of fuel shutoff solenoid is about 8 ohms, key off there is no power to solenoid, key on 12.5 volts to solenoid, cleaned grounds, checked pins 20 through 23 for power using pin 9 as ground and checked pins 25 27 grounds all good, opened Ecm looked at the top board towards the bottom when you install ecm , looks like a capacitator burnt spreading it to the wire harness soldered to the board connecting the bottom board . Keep in mind this lines up to actuator harnesses A on Ecm.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
No lights on dashboard come on with key on, no lights like water ,oil, engine red stop, engine warning when key on , before this al happened the lights all came on like oil water, engine stop, engine warning then after a few seconds engine shutoff and no dash lights would come on checked all relays fuses and fuses by Ecm still no dash lights, checked EPS resistance al good.
3/19/2018
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 3 months ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** Do you have the last 8 digits of the vin number please?

Pc067200, grounded negative lead on multimeter to block and placed positive lead of multimeter in pin 16 of actuator C and it measures 5 to 11 mohms, checked resistance on pin 16 to fuel shutoff solenoid with wire disconnected and reads .4 ohms.

pin 16 to fuel shutoff wire is ok .

You want very little resistance .

You need to load test the power and ground pins coming from the battery to connector C . For this , you should use a twin beam headlamp as a load light . Use both beams if you can to test the load carrying capability of each pin . Use two wires and connect to the headlamp . The other ends should have paperclips on them to be able to connect to the connector power and ground pin sockets of connector C

Hi there. Just looking for an update on this. Do you still need help ? Perhaps a phone call to go over this together might help?

Please do not forget to rate my service to you! Otherwise, I receive nothing for my time and efforts . Please let me know if you need anything else ! Thanks
Well ECM went bad a capacitor on top board went bad. Checked connectors A, B, C by checking for short by grounding one lead and other to each pin and the only ones that had continuity were pins 25, 1 on connector B they are the input engine, warning protection lamps. The ohm reading 10.7 for pin 25 and ohm reading 9.5 pin 1. Wondering why there is continuity on these two pins? Ecm replaced truck running but then a few days later the cruise control stopped working checked relays, fuses everything looks good just low power indicated by test light at the on switch.
When checking these pins , was the wiring harness disconnected at bother ends of the wire in question ? Otherwise , you would be picking up the resistance on the other side of the sensor .