Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

My cat engine 3176 (1993 year) is blowing out the rubber…

Customer Question
My cat engine...

My cat engine 3176 (1993 year) is blowing out the rubber seal at the top of filter & the fuel filter houseing, change the filter drove for 4 hours check & found a small amount of fuel around the top of filter have ordered new filter housing , should the return lines to tank be pressured tested ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Eng no 7lg09625 fitted in a 1993 t450 kenworth

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/18/2018
Technician: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 4 months ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman

Hi, my name is ***** ***** for your question.I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Morning

No you don't need to pressure test return lines

What you would want to do is disconnect return line at tank and stick into a empty bucket like a 5 gallon container

(you may need to extend line to reach bucket for test) then start engine, as long as you have good flow then return line is okay.

On trucks with the 3176 engine the return lines are larger inside diameter than the old Cats so they don't usually plug up unless something comes apart in the fuel system