Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2004 century with a Mercedes engine and a meritor…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2004 century with a Mercedes engine and a meritor Zf auto shift trans. When you turn the key on the gear shift display only shows 4 little lines in the middle and the truck wil not start. If you bypass the starter relay it will start but the gear display still has only the 4 lines in the middle. If you let it run long enough sometimes it will display the C H and then the trans will work fine for the rest of the day. The engine will only rev up to 1600 rpm when the display is not working. I got an E7 and a 21 code out of the gear shift display . It also has an ABS light on with a134 code . Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

02/04 Columbia s/n 1FUJA6V74LN13299

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** be glad to try to help. I will need some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals aren't employees of the site and I login periodically throughout the day as time allows. I see you have some transmission controller codes but could you please post any cuz you might have locked in the engine ECM as well.
There is only 1 active code and it was related to abs controller power.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago
When the ECM you lose communication with the transmission control module or the transmission speed sensor it will limit the engine RPM to 1600. So check your power and grounds to the ECM and the TCM and make sure there's no corrosion or damage in the wiring harness and the power and grounds are good and directly linked to the battery and not jumped off of the starter. There were problems when the control module power is jumped off of the starter terminal causing voltage problems. Check for that and inspect the wiring harness and connector pins for corrosion or damage as well as damaged wiring in the wiring harness. Let me know the results and I'm logging out for the night as it's after midnight here but we can follow up as needed. If you could grab the transmission model and serial number from the transmission ID tag I will likely have a service book for the transmission as well. I just want to make sure that I referenced the correct one to give you the most details information possible.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.