Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Just reading posts one of my trucks has a sissy switch you…

Customer Question
Just reading posts one...

Just reading posts one of my trucks has a sissy switch you know government bullshit I guess it's called a clutch safety switch driver flipping out because it won't start. I told him if he has air pull it or have someone back into him looking for a bypass fix actually

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Well if he knows all the answers we are going to be rich lol

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/17/2018
Technician: Steven, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech replied 4 months ago
Steven, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your issue. I'm not sure what the make and model of this is your having an issue with but a clutch microswitch is pretty much the industry standard. The difference is some OE's use a normally open or closed switch, The switch is usually at the top of the pedal that clicks just beyond rest position. Some put one at the base of the pedal to click when its closer to the floor board. So you can disconnect the switch and see if it starts, if it doesn't then cross the wires together. Just remember, if you keep it like that the cruise and engine brake will probably not work. Let me know if you need any further information. Thank

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

first, I was caught off when I wrote by comments. so now here is the problem prostar with a cummins engine, driver had problems two days ago said pushed clutch to engage the engine nothing happened. said he messed with it for about two hours and then slammed the clutch to the floor and the engine turned over. said he was able to start vehicle two more times as normal and now back too not working at all

Okay, Well on the Prostars you have to remove the lower kick panels to gain access to the clutch switch. The clutch switch will be located up towards the top of the pedal. Prostars don't use the old fashion spring loaded trip rod style of switch. They use a magnetic style the just sits next to the pedal but doesn't make any contact. It will be black and mostly square in shape. I think it is mounted to a bracket next to the clutch pedal. Anyway, there are actually two switches inside this box. One allows you to crank the engine, the other is a signal to the body controller that you are depressing the clutch, (this would cancel the cruise and or engine brakes). There will be 4 wires going into this switch. There is a connector that you can unplug to get better access to the wires. The wires you are looking for are the two pink ones. They should be 18 gauge, PINK in color, and numbered B17A, and B17AA. Simply cut the two wires near the connector body and then butt connect them together to bypass the clutch switch. Make sure you reconnect the connector to the clutch switch or your cruise won't work. Just remember, you will be eliminating a safety design and do so at your own risk

Were you able to get this taken care of? If you would please rate me on my assistance to you. Thanks and let me know if you need any other information.