Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I am working on a 2010 international 9900I with a cummins…

Hello. I am working on...
Hello. I am working on a 2010 international 9900I with a cummins ISX. I'm getting codes and stop engine light the codes are 4283, 2554 131 2, 556 30 0, and 555 22 0. I'm not sure the bet place to start. I have a texa scan tool hooked up to it
3/17/2018
Steven, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech

Hello, This is Steve, I will be the one assisting you with this. Can you please provide me with the engine serial number. Thanks

Hello again. 79413061

Okay thank you. The 4283 fault code is related to the 7th injector(doser). However this fault will not throw the CEL on. This is usually thrown by a plugged 7th injector, On the other faults, The 2254 is not valid, however with the stop engine light coming on- the 556 and 555 are both related to crankcase pressure being too high. So on your scanner you need to see what the reading of the crankcase pressure sensor is with key on engine off. If the sensor is reading too high then it is stuck out of range and will need to be replaced. If it is reading fine then checked to make sure that the breather hose out of the side of the crankcase is fine and not restricted or anything. If the pressure starts to raise and the light is coming on then the crankcase filter is probably plugged up. If you replace the filter make sure it is not all milky colored. If it is then you should probably check the egr cooler to make sure it is not leaking internally. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

should o do anything about the 4283? Can I clean or replace the dosed injector or just leave it for now? The second code is 2554 not 2254 but it seems to be gone for now.
With key on engine off the crank case pressure sensor is reading 0 psi and 1.5 volts. Upon start up at ideal the crank case pressure Goes to 2.20 psi and the stop engine comes on. If I rev the engine up with no load the pressure goes to 2.71 psi.
The crankcase filter is probably plugged up then. On the 4283 fault, do you know if the dpf filter has been bypassed or holes drilled thru it? If it has not then I would clean the injector out. Just make sure you replace the isolator, gasket, and mounting bolts. Then after that you have to perform a aftertreatment maintenance all reset for the ecm to relearn how much fuel it needs to regen properly. The 2554 is for ex gas pressure sensor. That’s the sensor mounted right near the thermostat housing. Unplug the sensor and see if any of the pins are burnt up. You can remove the sensor and make sure the port and steel line going to the ex manifold is not plugged up. If everything is okay then I would replace the sensor. Those sensors go bad often. That fault is usually thrown by the pressure being lower than expected.
What should the crank case pressure be then? What pressure does it need to be to set the cel? Where is and how exactly do I remove and clean the injector? When you say aftertrerment all reset, do you want me to read the filter or jut preform a service regen?

The crankcase pressure should run around an average of .1-.5 depending on engine load, how worn the engine is, ect. When the pressure starts to escalate at a rate or gets above I believe 1 psi it starts the 555, then the 556 will trigger when it goes beyond another threshold. The 7th injector is mounted to the underside of the cast pipe right off the back of the turbo. It has a fuel line going into the center and 2 mounting bolts that take a 5/16 or 8 mm socket to remove, just be careful not to round the head off the bolts if they have been in there a while. The coolant lines are solid on these so the pipe will have to come off or the coolant will need to be drained to pull it out far enough to clean it. Just use a soft wire brush to clean it up to remove all the carbon build up on it. On the reset I was talking about- with the cummins software we have a reset because the engine ecm is capable of having a learned data in which is knows exactly how much fuel it has to dose out of that injector to get the unit up to temp. as time goes on and the injector plugs a little it takes more and more fuel. So if the injector is cleaned up then a regen is ran it can overtemp and overfuel because it does not know that something has changed. I hope this makes sense. I am not sure if the scan tool your using will be able to do that. Youll have to look for some sort of bi-directional or special function setting in it.

I will get some parts. If my scan tool is in able to reset the learned value of the 7th injector should I not clean it and just leave it until the condition gets worse?
You could regen it after your done and monitor the ex temps. Make sure that t2 and t3 maintain at least 850 once it’s all stabilized. It can take up to 1.5 hours on that regen too.Please don’t forget to rate my answers. Thanks.
Ok I will work on that and let you know when I'm done. I will definitely give you the best review as you are always so helpful. I was going to wait to do the review though encase I need more help before it is fixed
No problem. I always continue to help people with their issue after or before a review. Thanks
Oh ok. I thought it ended once I reviewed
No. The only time it ends is when the case has been left in upwards of a week with no response
I replaced all the parts. The breather filter seemed to fix the crank case pressure issue. I went ahead and just replaced the dosing injector. I am running the regen now. My scan tool only shows temp upstream of filter and temp after filter. Are these the t2 and t3? You said both should be over 850 degrees once leveled out?

Yes, The temp sensor before the dpf is the T2 and post is the T3. Yes on the temps. This is an 871 so the temps on this one will reach up to 1000 on the outlet, depending on the soot load may be a tad higher. The T2 will run about 850-930ish. The CM 2250 and 2350(newer Xseries) run 850.

Ok cool. at first my t2 went to 1000 but it is coming back down now. T2 is around 900 t3 around 850

Yeah, That is just an indication that there was some soot build up on the DPF, and the ECM is relearning the limits and flow of the injector,

Awesome. I'll let you know when it's all done. Really appreciate you sharing your knowledge

No problem. Glad I could help.

Ok the regen completed successfully. The cel is off and the only code left is the the 4283 but it is yellow now not red so maybe it's ok
If the temps were good and the doser was replaced then clear that fault now. If it does not clear than the aft maintenance reset will have to be performed with insite.
Did the fault go to inactive?
Yea it won't clear but it's like a lower level of fault now then before. On my system red is high yellow low warning and green is inactive if that makes any sense.
I think I'll just leave it for now. The cel is off and it's not giving any other codes. That code is almost like a companion code just with out the companion. It doesn't really tell you anything is wrong just something to do with the dosing
Yeah I understand. The ecm starts running the diagnostic test on the injector once the ex temps are hot enough to start injecting fuel to regen. The fault did change status so it is seeing it is working. So I would have that reset performed or you could let the truck go and once it goes thru it’s drive cycles and verification steps it should relearn itself
That's what I'm thinking. I'll see if it relearned its self. If you don't mind real quick. I need to replace the coolant level sensor on an 08 kw with a cummins. The old sensor is three wire and the new one is only 2. They gave me a little module and an adapter harness to plug it all in. Once it is all in will I need to have anything programmed or change any multiplexing? Thanks
You shouldn’t have to. The level sensor should not be programmed on that. The module takes the place of the third wire by acting as a relay. What engineering did was take a step back to the way the old series 60 used to be. Hope that helps. Please rate my answers I have provided you. Thanks
Steven, Shop Foreman/Triage Tech
That helps a ton. Rating now and I will look you up again next time. Thank you!!!
Sent you a few bucks for a beer ��. Enjoy
Thank you, ***** ***** up anytime you need something. Thanks again. Have a good night
Hey Steven. I’ve got another problem with an international truck. It’s a 99 with an Cummins m11 and an Allison. After running for about 30 mind the stop engine and warning engine lights come on and the engine derates you can only get enough rpm to run in first and sometimes get into second. When I plug into it I get a ton of codes, a lot of voltage codes. Is this something you think you could help me with? If so should I start a new question?
Yeah I can help you with this. You will need to start a new question. Thanks
I started a new and no one has replied yet so I hope you can get on it please
I think I found it and responded.