Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

1990 Peterbilt engine. Engine shut down and will not start.

1990 Peterbilt(###) ###-#### engine ...

1990 Peterbilt(###) ###-#### engine

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Engine shut down and will not start. It will start on ether or starting fluid but it will not stay running.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

New filters, changed transfer pump, Acts like it wants to start but will not start

3/17/2018
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
I would first suspect a problem with the shutoff solenoid. The solenoid it self may be faulty. Or the Power or ground to the solenoid is missing.
I would check Power first. If it’s got power. I would remove the solenoid and start the engine. If it starts. You’ll know the solenoid is bad. To shut the engine down. Just insert a screwdriver in the hole where the solenoid was to push the lever.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Tried that it acts like it wants to start, but it will not.
Thanks for the information.
If it will not start with the solenoid off. You have a failure in the governor assembly. Over time the parts will were and cause a shutdown.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Do I need to get parts for the governor assembly or completely replace? What do they usually Cost? Also, will the governor assembly keep it from starting?
it will keep it from starting.
To be honest. All the parts in the governor are worn. It’s best to have the fuel system removed and rebuilt or replaced.
Any other ideas before I let you go back to watching NCAA Basketball?
Haha. Not really a basketball fan. Sorry.
No that’s about it.
You never really said the price range to me expect for this repair
A pump rebuild runs around 2000-2500. A pump replace is 3000-3500
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert