Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2005 Navistar 7600 series. Neither horn works. City…

I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Navistar 7600 series. Neither horn works. City horn or the air horn.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Serial # 1htwyahr75j035215

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Model 7600

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Working on it myself.

3/17/2018
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
Hi there . My name is ***** ***** Have you tried powering the horns manually to see if they are good ? Have you also tried having someone push on the horn button while checking for power and ground at the horn connections?
I have. There is no clicking sounds at all and I can't find any fuse's or relays.
I believe that is because it is controlled by the electrical system controller ...or body controller
Have you tested for power and ground getting to the horn itself though ... With a test light or multimeter ? Have an assistant push on the horn button well you go underneath and test with a meter for power and ground right on the horn itself
If you see Power and ground on the horn with a multimeter while the horn button is being depressed, that tells us that the horn button and body controller are doing their job and the horn needs to be replaced.
As far as the air horn goes , you need to disconnect the air line to the horn , air up the truck to 120 psi and try the air horn button to see if any air comes out of air line at the horn . If not , it is likely because the solenoid is corroded on the solenoid board mount on the left hand inside frame rail next to the transmission.

Hi there . Looking for an update ! Do you still need help ?

Perhaps a phone call might be better to explain further in details and I can also help with wiring diagrams

Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician