Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

We have an Axor WDB9545322L225785 and when we were about to…

Hello, we have an...

Hello, we have an Axor WDB9545322L225785 and when we were about to give it a well deserved oil change and all filters, we discovered the sump seems to have a crack and coolant seems to be present at the plug. we haven't proceeded with the oil drain... what do you think?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Approximately 12 months past...

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Mercedes?

Axor WDB9545322L225785 is this enough info?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have an in-house workshop and we have not proceeded since discovering the crack.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The Truck has done 700k and is in good order.

3/16/2018
Eurotruck72
Eurotruck72, workshop foreman
If you catch a liter of the first oil that comes out in a transparant cup you can see how much water or coolant is in there. It will be clearly divided at the bottom of the cup after a while
If it is only a very small amount it can be just some condensed water that normally boils out when the engine gets hot. That won't be a big problem. If you don't have to refill the coolant often I would just hope it's that and just go on.
When the coolant also has some black oil floating on it you probably have a leaking oil cooler.
If the crack in the sump doesn't leak I don't expect it to suddenly fail. Good luck!
Thank you. There has been some consumption of coolant with no evident leaks.
We proceeded with the oil drain and the coolant was very minimal to nil within the captured oil, the crack did not worsen, however, the drain plug did not unscrew from the implanted nut and the entire drain plug and captured nut came 'as one' out of the plastic sump.
We are assuming the 'Mercedes workshop' we had sent it for the previous major service had overtightened the plug.
Now we will remove the sump to assess for repair or replacement.
What say you?
I would do the same+ while the sump is off you could look up in the block for evidence of leakage of coolant. Maybe put some pressure on the coolant system. I don't suspect you'll see anything but while the sump is off
If my answer is of help please accept so I get rewarded by the site.
Eurotruck72
Eurotruck72, workshop foreman