Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2009 freight liner Columbia has a crank no start condition i…

2009 freight liner Columbia has...
2009 freight liner Columbia has a long crank no start condition i have access to dl8
3/15/2018
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

what engine

dd15 ddecvI
vin 1fubgddr19lak7882

ok

what is the low side fuel pressure while cranking? it will be on the laptop

have you changed the fuel filters and check for debris especially the little one?

Roy

have changed fuel filters cant rember low off the top off my head but high is 249 bar same as desired i will check low real fast

did you prime with the esoc??

Roy

i built mine but yes
i do not see a low pressure rating in dl8 just railr pressure but early cranking show 65 bar
i have code J1708 current below normal or open circut S254 5

ok

verify power to the ecm.

does the light come on with the key on??

Roy

i did notice crank interlock was disabled while cranking (did not go green) when i hover the mouse over it it says old school anti theft

did you check the connectors at the cam housing for any fluid contamination???

We are getting closer to injectors

Roy

none noted and dl8 notes rpm,,,, do you have any information on crank interlock

does it crank?? why do you think interlock if it cranks??

notes rpm??

engine does crank
i am not sure where the ecm gets rpm signal from but i can see it on dl8
when i go into start crank instrumentation it has a box that says crank interlock it does not go green says its old school anti theft
i honestly have no idea whats wrong at the moment thats why im here

rpm comes from crank sensor.

do you have a break out box

Are there any other codes??

no break out box i do have back probe pins only other code is for turn left front corner
is there a troubleshooting tree or something you could send me
what tells the injectors to pulse .. the cam sensor is there a way to emulate this

if they were bad, they would code.

Let me see if I can find the specs for you

first, take off the hot pipe and see if there is any fuel in it. that is the pipe from the manifold to the egr cooler. it is a small U pipe

Roy

no fuel noted

23.1  Hard Start/No Start - Three-Filter Fuel System (This Test Must Be Done First)

NOTICE:

To avoid engine damage, DO NOT use any type of aerosol spray, e.g., ether, starting fluid or brake cleaner to aid in starting the engine.

NOTE: The fuel system MUST be primed every time the fuel system is opened. Prime the fuel system. Refer to section "Priming the Fuel System - Three-Filter System" .

Check as follows:

Show/Hide Checkboxes

NOTE: When inspecting pre-screen stand pipe, fuel should be present on top of the check ball. If no fuel is present, add fuel to top of stand pipe. If the fuel drains down into the standpipe, replace the standpipe.

1. Inspect the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) hot pipe for fuel.
    For the DD13, Refer to section "Cleaning of the DD13 Exhaust Gas Recirculation System" .
    For the DD15 and DD16, Refer to section "Cleaning of the Turbo Compound DD15 and DD16 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Systems" .
    Is fuel present in the EGR hot pipe?
    1. Yes; install six new fuel injectors. Refer to section "Test-E - Three-Filter Fuel System" .
    2. No; reinstall the EGR hot pipe with new sealing gaskets and exhaust clamps. Refer to section "Installation of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Hot Pipe" . Go to step 2.
  2. Will the engine rotate with the starter?
    1. Yes; Go to step 3.
    2. No; Refer to section "Test-B - Three-Filter Fuel System" .
  3. Check fuel tank levels; ensure both are above ¼ tank.
    1. If tanks are less than ¼, add fuel and retest. If concern is still present, Go to step 4.
    2. If adding fuel corrected the complaint, release the vehicle.
    3. If both tanks are over ¼ full of fuel, Go to step 4.
  4. Check for fuel contamination, including DEF, water, gasoline, kerosene, coolant, etc.
    1. If contamination is found, refer to the Contaminated Fluids section in DDC-SVC-MAN-0084.
    2. If no contamination is found, Go to step 5.
  5. Using DiagnosticLink® , check for other related fault codes.
    1. If other fault codes are present along with a starting difficulty, correct the additional fault codes first.
    2. If no fault codes are present, Go to step 6.
  6. Were the fuel filters just replaced?
    1. Yes; inspect stand pipes, pre-screen check ball and fuel filter O-rings. Repair/replace as necessary.
    2. No; Go to step 7.
  7. Perform Automatic FSIC test. Refer to section "Fuel System Integrity Check Routine Operation Overview - Three-Filter Fuel System" for more details on FSIC.
    1. If at any point during cranking there is an audible knock or hydraulic sound, do not attempt to restart the engine. Remove EGR hot pipe to inspect for fuel. If fuel is found, install six new fuel injectors.
    2. If the engine starts, allow FSIC to complete and Refer to section "Test-D - Three-Filter Fuel System" .
    3. If the engine does not start, repeat start attempt with Automatic FSIC one more time on same log file. If engine still does not start, Refer to section "Test-A - Three-Filter Fuel System " .

any update

gave up last night currently trying to find procedure for aerated fuel test

do you have the tank and hose set up for the test???

Roy

no i do not

thats what you need. you remove the lines to the fuel module and replace them with the clear lines and put some fuel in the tank with the kit and run the truck. then you monitor the lines for air.

Roy

any update

do you have any other questions

i found that the the large filter in the three filter system would sweat under pressure i assumed it could also draw air in to the system so i ordered the part my local freight liner dealer is slow i guess it will be in Friday. also found in the testing procedures when the ecm requests 245 bar that the fuel system is aerated, but than again with the resources i have im kind of guessing

yes, if it leaks out, it will draw air into the system.

Roy

LAST QUESTION I HOPE. I AM POSITIVE THE FUEL IS AERATED HOW DO YOU TREAT IT
ALSO IS THERE A PART NUMBER FOR THE FUEL AREATION TEST KIT

there is no treating it, you need to repair the air leak.

you will need to call freightleiner for the part number. I do not have the number. it is a kit with clear lines from the module to a tank that contains fuel. it is a substitute for the tank and lines.

Roy

roybelding
I ordered the kit wont be in for awhile I pressured the system and found a few leaks at 99 psi , so I made an adapter to run a clear hose from the return line into the tank and I've noticed with priming tool hooked up at 90 psi I have clean clear fuel until I crank it when it gets more air into the system any ideas

it could be the injector o rings or the injectors themselves. I would pull the injectors and inspect the orings for any damage. I would also do a vacuum test on the tips of the injectors as well.

roy