Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 200y sterling 9513 with a cat motor...fan clutch…

Customer Question
I have a 200y sterling...
I have a 200y sterling 9513 with a cat motor...fan clutch stays on has no power
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/15/2018
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 1 month ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
So the fan is on all the time?
What Cat engine do you have?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its a 2006 vin#6av71261...with a c7 cat
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have matco max.2.0 and snap on hd cat software,,,neither will communicate with it
Thanks for the information.The ECM will turn on the cooling fan, if any of the following conditions are detected by the Engine ECM:
The engine coolant temperature is greater than 102 °C (216 °F).
There is an active diagnostic code for the coolant temperature sensor.
There is an active diagnostic code for the intake manifold air temperature sensor and boost pressure is greater than 70 kPa (10 psi).
The intake manifold air temperature is greater than 87 °C (189 °F).
The intake manifold air temperature is greater than 72 °C (162 °F) while the boost pressure is greater than 70 kPa (10 psi).
The "Fan with Engine Retarder in High Mode" is programmed to "YES" and the retarder has been on at least two seconds.
The "A/C Switch Fan On-Time" is programmed to a value above 0 and the A/C high pressure switch is Open.
The manual fan override switch is on.
If you do not notice any of these conditions occurring, one of the items above may be faulty and causing the fan to stay on. For example, you could have a faulty AC high pressure switch, manual over ride switch, or the wiring to one of these items could also be faulty. The tough part is if one of these is faulty, there will not be a check engine light or fault code.The best way to determine what is causing the engine fan to stay on is to connect a service tool like Cat ET software and monitor the fan and all of the switches that are connected to it. If one of the above is keeping the fan on, it will be easy to see. For example, if you have a bad AC high pressure switch, it will say that the AC switch is wanting the fan on.If nothing can be seen with the service tool, you most likely have a faulty fan control solenoid, fan hub, or broken fan control wire that runs from the engine ECM. It is on pin 11. Basically, the ECM sends out 12 volts on pin 11 whenever the ECM wants the fan off. When the ECM wants the fan on, it removes the 12 volts from pin 11.If your fan is on and you have NO POWER coming out of pin 11, one of the items I first mentioned is making the ECM want to keep the fan ON.If your fan is on and you have POWER coming out of pin 11, you have a faulty fan control solenoid, fan hub, or broken fan control wire.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you shoot me a schematic of how the obdlink is powered up,..I can't,communicate with either tool
Let me see what I can find. Be back in a few minutes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have proper power on the pin..ground on center pin...still no,communication...any other ideas
Thanks for the information.
Next thing would be the data link wires. They should go to pins 8 and 9 on the ecm. They could be shorted, backwards, or broken.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are grounded correct
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I have power at any of them
No power. Just data link wires. Next step would be to install separate wires to ecm.
Loss of power or ground or a data wires problem is all I’ve seen cause a communication problem.
Could be your tool as well.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have 2 tools not com
I have a Cat bypass harness that I use to bypass the truck wiring. Part number(###) ###-#### Comm problems are caused by truck wiring or tool.
Cat Man
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert