Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2009 GMC Topkick, 6.6 Duramax. Clearance lights and

2009 GMC Topkick, 6.6...

2009 GMC Topkick, 6.6 Duramax. Clearance lights and headlights (high beam) will not shut off. Need to disconnect battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Vin # 1GDJ5V1969F412638. 2009 GMC C5500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am mech. for transit company. Pulled most fuses. Disconnected multifunction switch, light switch, DRL control module, PCM and ABS controller.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really.

3/15/2018
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to try to help. When you open and close the doors do the interior lights come on and then timeout off as they should after a few moments. Because we're this is Multiplex electrical the problem can be in your body control module keeping the lights on unless there is a short somewhere in the circuit causing the lights to stay on. I would also check for any aftermarket add-ons if anybody spliced into the headlight circuit or made any changes or modifications that could have caused issues with the body controller....
Let me know if any of the other lighting circuits are accessories are stuck on or being stuck on as well and we can follow up as needed on here.
Interior lights come on and shut down with the driver door. Exterior lighting is working as it should, (with the switch), with 1 exception the front right turn signal driving light stays on with all 4 headlights and the high beam indicator in the gauge cluster.
Darin
Did I miss something?
Before I take your call request let me go through some of my diagrams as I may be able to hook you up with some schematics as well on this but I will need some more time to go through my files. I apologize for the delays today as it is just been a Non-Stop busy day for me and professionals are not employees of the website so I helped on here in between jobs and as time allows so I try to log in as much as possible when free and some days I just get tied up longer than others.
Daniel Wilson
I guess I thought you requested the phone call, my bad. I do believe the problem is with the body control module, which I am having trouble locating. Our service manuals do not refer to any sort of BCM for this bus. Couple more problems that have come to my attention with this vehicle is that the "Change engine oil light" needed to be reset weekly, and that the "Change fuel filter light" would never shut off.
Phone call session started

Click on this link

Service info

If you look at PDF 115 as well you will see the Headlamp, Marker, and DRL circuit and how they are shown powered from the same MAXIfuse block through the headlight switch 1142 and F4, DRL and markers through a 15 amp and 20 amp fuse.... check for a short in the wiring or fuse block. i see it mentions a DRL diode as well. Check for that and if there might be a diode backfeeding power.

That DRL diode sounds promising. I'll check that out Monday morning. Thanks.

Pleasure to help