Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I recently bought an Isuzu Elf truck PB-NKR81N from JAPAN…

Second opinion] I recently...

Second opinion] I recently bought an Isuzu Elf truck PB-NKR81N from JAPAN NBC Corporation .
4790cc manual 170000 k.m.
chassis # NKR81-7049948 3 drive type :*****
Received truck late January 2018 and was working fine ,changed the engine oil and filter.Then 9 days ago the DPD light started blinking constantly,i followed the procedure depressing the DPD button on dash leaving for 30 mins.
I also removed the ceramic filter and manually cleaned with boiling water and blue def liquid bought from NAPA.
after cleaning filter and driving,i noticed lots of blue greyesh smoke from back of exhaust.Light stays on....and am afraid truck will enter limp mode??

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I recently bought an Isuzu Elf truck PB-NKR81N from JAPAN NBC Corporation .
4790cc manual 170000 k.m.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

4790cc manual 170000 k.m.

3/15/2018
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Unfortunately as much as I do not want to be I have to be straightforward and unfortunately the bearer of bad news. I do not know who told you it was okay to use any liquid whatsoever on the DPF filter. Whoever told you that stared you completely in the wrong direction as there should never be liquid on the DPF filter. That will surely destroy the filter and its function. There is special tooling and equipment to clean those filters and they should be baked and a very high temperature oven designed for that purpose. Now that this filter has been exposed to liquid it is possible and highly likely that even with proper cleaning now you may need to replace the filter rather than clean it as it should have been done in the first place unfortunately. You can gladly try having it cleaned the proper way but there is still a possibility that you may be paying for that cleaning and then paying for a replacement filter over and above. So unfortunately whoever told you to clean it that way created one of those scenarios that cutting Corners ends up costing you double in the end. If you choose to try to properly clean the existing element I have my fingers crossed for you that it works out great and if not it'll be expected that it will just need to be replaced. Also I would clean the system in the sensors in the piping just to be sure that every thing as clean as best as possible in the DPF system. Once all together try running a successful regeneration to its completion and if it completes without stopping and kicking out do do any fall codes that means your system has been reset and you should be fine. Now if you are able to regen without it kicking out due to codes but you have a smoke issue because of the saturated DPF filter which is supposed to be dry that would be why you were getting smoke. And this would continue as long as that DPF filter is saturated with liquid chemicals... All ecms are programmed to go into a d rate or limp mode if there are problems detected in the emissions circuit and then the operator continues to drive and ignore those Faults. So if you have fault codes logged and you cannot successfully regen at some point it will go into a default limp mode per say or de-rate. Let me know if you need further help and please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The ceramic filter was left in the hot sun for 4 hours before replacing
The blue white smoke only lasted for 4 mins or 7 km
No more smoke visible
Very clean exhaust fumes
Thanks for the update. Try running a successful parked or forced regen to try to reset the system. If it will not reset that way you may need to have the diagnostic tool connected and reset the DPF, DOC, etc. Manually using the diagnostic software and in some cases when all the repairs are completed but the system won't reset you may need to reflash or reprogram and update the software to reset everything back to factory settings in order for the system to reset. If the light is on there will be fault codes logged in memory it will be those codes that we would need to narrow it down further if there is still an actual active fault present that needs to be repaired. Let me know
Daniel Wilson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi dan your much more helpful than previous mechanic
The DPD flashing light came OFF after running a parked regen for about 45 mins
However the engine light came on after DPD flashing stoped,took off battery lead but still stays on.
Afterwards I drove 10-15 kilometres but The truck has now lost power .
On flat road can't exceed 70 kam p/ he
And on slopes it struggles , truck is without load (empty)
Can you help?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
70 k.m per hour is max
And struggles to reach this even on flat level road
I even placed brand new fuel filter

Hey it is Dan again. Unfortunately disconnecting the battery cable on this type of system will not reset the computer as the ECM has a built-in internal battery to keep the memory alive. The only way to get this to reset is the dealer level software. They make it even tough for General repair shops in mechanics to be able to do anything once it gets to that point. They are able to read fault codes and monitor live data Etc. But when it comes to software updates the dealerships hold exclusive rights on the software to be able to do that. So any time that you have regeneration that won't complete or if you have any active fault codes then that means that those faults have to be repaired or corrected before it will allow the system to even reset or the codes to be erased. An active fault code will not be able to be erased. But once repaired it will go inactive and just remain logged in memory. The only time it can be erased is if the scan tool is connected and you can erase inactive codes out of History.

So we will need to know what fault codes are logged in the ECM memory. This way we will know if it is throttle position sensor related or fuel system related, turbo or boost pressure related. Air temp or pressure sensor related, a leak in the turbo boost or intake piping, a possible turbocharger problem which could also allow low boost pressure. I would make sure that you have good turbo boost pressure and good fuel pressure and if that is the case then the problem can be electronic and in the software or ECM which is why it would be good to check for more fault codes to see if it is logging any further codes. Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are no Isuzu dealers here even with lots of Isuzu trucks on the road.
Tomorrow I will try a local garage that owns similar model to mine.
I will pass on the info you sent me.
I will keep you posted.

thanks for the update. Keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is your opinion on deleting the DPD system
There are no regulations against that here.
Neerabup Australia is offering to remapp my ECU to allow a DPD & EGR remap.
I would have to send the ECU to them.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Www. Neerabupdiesel. Com.au
My opinion on deleting it if you have no regulations preventing it... I am all for it as long as they have plenty of experience doing it and the software is remapped correctly. The majority of the down time on trucks today and Equipment are related to these after treatment systems. If it weren't for the strict regulations imposed there would be a lot more people getting rid of them.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you successfully remap? And direct me what to do?
Remapping in reprogramming ECM software is not something either of us can do as we would have to send the ECM out to have that done buy a company who has the license and software to do so. That part of it unfortunately is not something you are I could do.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would you know if Neerabupdiesel. Com is lincense to do so this?
I would not. There are a lot of companies popping up that claim to have the answers and proper procedures to do deletes. It is best to check for reviews and how many years they've been in business doing it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you please answer the following question?:An EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) utilizes a valve to allow a portion of your engines exhaust gas back into the intake manifold, diluting the clean air being drawn into the engine with the aim to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions.
An unwelcome side effect of this process is a heavy build up of carbon in the intake manifold that leads to restricted air flow causing economy and performance issues and ultimately the vehicles computer will detect a fault and put your vehicle into limp mode until repaired.....Do you think that this is happening to my truck?? and how can I FIX/REPAIR this?...My truck cannot presently climb a slope even empty without load.. The ENGINE light remains "ON" on dashboard.I am presently driving my truck ,should I stop ??Dennis Kam
Hi Dennis. A plugged EGR system is something that does in can happen over time. It can be cleaned out and in some cases results in a failed EGR valve. If your engine warning light is on and stays on then you will need to have the codes read to know what you have for fault codes that will take all this guesswork out of the equation because those codes will say what circuit has the problem and what needs to be corrected.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dan,thanks for your very important answers.
As I previously mentioned, there are no scanners/computers here on this island that can scan and read the codes.
I am waiting for a scanner which I ordered, but this will take until next month to arrive.My truck can presently reach a top speed of max. 65 k.m.p/hr on a level road,but after dragging out the gears from 2-4 speed.On a slope it becomes very difficult.
My question is:
Until the scanner arrives,Can I ask a local mechanic to check the ERG system and clean if necessary,or check the Turbo, and to check if there is a dirty sensor...if one of these is found and repaired,will this correct my loss of power??
It seems that my truck has entered a limp mode and can I continue driving or must I park the truck??Hoping on quick reply from you,Regards,
Dennis
Hi I listed the potential causes if you read back and all my answers. The only way to know for certain is to get those fault codes and to check the items I mentioned. And if the computer cut back your power into a limp mode or Derate... The repairs have to be made before the computer can be reset and in some cases you need the dealer diagnostic program connected to reset your computer. So in summary your only options are to check everything that I mentioned for possible causes and if that doesn't reveal your problem or correct your issue you will need to somehow have the computer reprogrammed.
If all your fluids are up you got good oil pressure and you're not overheating and the only thing restricting your power is the computer cutting back the power then it would be okay to drive however you will also want to make sure that you're not sucking any dust into your turbo piping and that you don't have a turbo failure occurring because the turbo failure can put trash into the engine and ruin your engine if that's what's happening.
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson