Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I recently bought an Isuzu Elf truck PB-NKR81N from JAPAN…

Customer Question
I recently bought an...

I recently bought an Isuzu Elf truck PB-NKR81N from JAPAN NBC Corporation .
4790cc manual 170000 k.m.
chassis # NKR81-7049948 3 drive type :*****
Received truck late January 2018 and was working fine ,changed the engine oil and filter.Then 9 days ago the DPD light started blinking constantly,i followed the procedure depressing the DPD button on dash leaving for 30 mins.
I also removed the ceramic filter and manually cleaned with boiling water and blue def liquid bought from NAPA.
after cleaning filter and driving,i noticed lots of blue greyesh smoke from back of exhaust.Light stays on....and am afraid truck will enter limp mode??

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

4790cc manual 170000 k.m.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

4790cc manual 170000 k.m.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 5 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

Thst is NOT how the DPF filter gets cleaned. They are sprayed with a chemical and baked.

The flashing light means the vehicle needs to have a parked regen done. Follow the steps in the manual to do the parked regen procedure.

With that blue to gray smoke, hopefully that filter wasn't damaged from the water getting sprayed into it. The water gets really hot in that filter and cracks the ceramic which causes the need for a filter replacement (at about 4 thousand USD). NEVER put DEF in that filter again. That is really really bad for that filter. The DEF is acidic from the Urea and will ruin the filter. Hopefully that didn't happen with the filter already.

With this truck being new, I would have warranty look at the injectors on it and do a forced regen on the truck. I wouldn't suggest what you did for they will toss the warranty the moment you mentioned water and DEF sprayed on the filter.

Try a parked regen first and see if that will burn everything out.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy
I tried the parked regen for 30 mins in park but light still blinking??
Truck is 2006 so granite not effective
Please help
Guarantie not effective truck is 2006

I thought the truck was a 2018? That was the info I got.

Did you let the regen finish? The engine will idle down when the regen is complete.

If you did let it finish and the light is still blinking, then the truck needs a computer connected to it with a program called IDSS or Tech2Tool (GM program) and have the regen forced with monitoring to see why the regen is not completing. It could be something like a sensor not reading correctly to a DPF filter needing to be chemically baked or a bad turbo not pushing air into the filter to get a good bake. The system needs to be monitored at this point. With the blue/gray smoke, it could be an injector being bad and sending too much fuel into the exhaust system and causing the heat to be too low where the regen will not have a good burn out.

I ran the dpd for 40 mins and it came off.
But engine light came on
Imm driving and truck not exceeding 60 km p/he
Struggling power and acceleration
Please advise!
Regen completed and light came off after depressing dpd for 45 mins
But now engine light came on and truck is struggling to accelerate
With max of 60 km per hr
Almost no power after dpd complete
Please help

You have to connect IDSS or Gm's Tech 2 Tool to it, pull the code for the check engine light, and run the regen with the tool connected to see what is going on. There is no other way to diagnose this issue. There is something going on with the regen system causing the issue.

Truck is Isuzu from Japan and 24 volts
I have experienced Canadian mechanic but he can't figure out?
Willing to pay to solve problem

Now it is starting to feel like I am beating a dead horse for I stated twice now that IDSS needs to be connected, codes pulled, and regen ran while monitoring to see what the regen is doing to be causing the failure. Well, 3 times now.

I will opt out for you are wanting a magic ball answer that can't be given. The issue has to be diagnosed and you don't seem to want the correct answer that is given by connecting the program to the truck.

Good luck on this and I do hope you get it repaired.

Regen has been ran and completed
DPD light stopped blinking

Then the issue may have resolved. If it happens again, I still suggest connecting IDSS to the truck to see what is going on for one of the sensors is not reading right and causing the regen to run properly.