Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2006 freightliner Century that has a Cruise control…

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 freightliner Century that has a Cruise control that works for 10 to 30 minutes at the beginning of the week and then doesn't work again.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

W97674 is the last 6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a master mechanic available.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

It seems like the problem started when I had a rough wheel spin with a pot hole leaving a delivery.

I have a pro driver Detroi Diesel dash display. When I hit the cruise set button it dispays my speed but won"t engage. When I hit the accelerate button it doesn't set or accelerate.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

Do you have any fault codes on this? Like any ABS wheel speed codes or any jumpin on the speedometer?

Does this have auto shift or manual transmission?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Auto shift fully working. No faults Speedometer is smooth.

No ABS lights or fault codes for ABS showing?

Does the issue go away with each key start or it doesn't matter, the cruise doesn't work after 30 minutes? Did the engine idle overnight or was it turned off and the engine is cold and the issue is there on a hot transmission?

I'm asking questions to narrow down if there is a sensor issue on the transmission due to temps, a sensor on the air system for the brakes, a engine sensor/ECM heat issue, a clutch pedal issue with an electrical problem, or something else. I've seen the issue at each of these and just trying to narrow down more.

Ok. When the truck sits over the weekend not running cruise works for 30 minutes. It won't work after idling overnight.

That sounds like a sensor issue in the transmission. Either the speed sensor is acting up or the clutch sensor. It is usually one of the 2 that cause that with a hot vehicle on a auto shift.

The speed sensor is at the back near the driveline and the clutch is on the left side, near the clutch throw out. Check those sensors for oil seeping at the plugs. If both are clean, then replace the speed first and the clutch second since that is the issue with most common to least common of the 2.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Well I agree. And a note on YouTube mentioned the sensor behind the tranny. Your explanation gor the reason confirms a plan of action.
How can I get a receipt?

It happens a lot on those transmissions. The sensors are less tolerant than they used to be.

I don't work for the site, I am a user like you, but I can email customer service to assist in getting you one. There is a way to print out the amounts, but I'm just not familiar with how to do it. On our side, it is from the main sign on screen. At the top right, it has "account" and we click on it, then you can click reports and get the info. I'm just not sure if it is the same way on the other side.

I will email customer service for you to get them to reach out on how to do it.

Ok thanks
I'm taking the truck to my shop on the 26th of March. We will look at the speed sensor and see how it does.

Sounds good.