Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

1986 KENWORTH T600 WITH 3406 CAT ENGINE. Was fine, sat for a…

1986 KENWORTH T600 WITH...

1986 KENWORTH T600 WITH 3406 CAT ENGINE. Was fine, sat for a while and now has to be primed to start and once it does it revs up rapidly to 2400 rpm. Accelerator pedal has no effect. Have to control by turning key on and off. Would continue to rev until burned up.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

All posted

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
cat_engines_only

I am sorry no one could help you earlier. I assume this is a 3406B model? Would you know the serial number?

If it is a B model, you should have a small rectangular like plate on the side of the injection pump below the lines and near the center of the pump housing. (Not a long plate, only about 2x2 & 1/2 inches.) It has four bolts holding it to the pump.

Remove this plate and you will see two small holes. The upper one should have a rod visible with a slot on the top side of the rod. This is the fuel rack that controls the fuel plungers. Use a screwdriver and try to move this rack back and forth. It will only move a small amount, maybe a half an inch.

Turn to key switch on and then move the throttle pedal to see if the rack will move with the pedal.

If it does not move freely with the screwdriver and then respond with the pedal movement, the governor is worn put and likely needs rebuilding.

This is a job someone with fuel governor experience should do as it is the control for the engine speed.

If this information does not match your engine, please post back the complete engine serial number with your reply.

Thanks,

CATMASTERTECH

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Vin Decode (finally found one that would work) shows 3406/C15/C16. The tag on the truck door says 3406 ATA. Engine serial # I can't find.

It could be a 3406C model and would likely have the same injection pump.

I assume ATA means Air-To-Air which is common on the 3406C 425hp and higher.

The picture is to the rear of the injection pump, the plate I am describing is closer to the front.

Ok, thanks for the pictures. I was way off on the plate.

You should have a to bolt oval plate at the front of the injection pump. (likely behind that A/C drier)

Remove the plate and see if you can move the rack like I described earlier.

See the image I have posted. You do not need the pin marked # shown but is it touching the rack slot.

I used the 3406B serial number 7FB65126 for reference. It is your engine ID tag

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok-headed out of town in a few minutes. he will check this tomorrow and i will get back with you on friday when I get back if that's ok. He's computer illiterate!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will that work ok?

Yes, I work out in the field during the day and am online at night.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I appreciate your cooperation. And I was rude and didn't Express that I didn't mind that it took awhile to answer.

Not a problem, I am glad to help. My hours are different and the site doesn't want me to post specific times so, I often add it in later so my customers will know why it took longer to get a reply. We only have a few CAT experts so, answer response times often do vary.

It may take some time for me to reply but, I will always try to help as much as I can. Just remember, after a few days with no new postings, the question will go dead and the links may not function correctly.

If you need an answer quicker than I can reply, you can OPT-OUT my assistance and another expert can pick it up.

Thanks again,

CATMASTERTECH

Hello again,

I haven't heard from you on this issue. Was my answer helpful?

If not, please let me know how I can help you further.

If this is complete, please take a moment to rate my help.

cat_engines_only
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I can get someone loose to do this, I will start a new thread if there are further questions. The lot got really busy and noone has had time to do it. I rate you all the stars. I will request you if I need more help. Thanks!!!!!!!
cat_engines_only
cat_engines_only
cat_engines_only, Other