Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

1999 international 4700 dt466 3060p allison trans trans

shift great up till 3rd...
1999 international 4700 dt466 3060p allison trans trans shift great up till 3rd to 4th it goes into neutral for a second then catches gear fine. does this also if i shift manually with shifter . what could cause problem
3/14/2018
Daniel Wilson
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. This problem if the transmission does engage fine and the clutches are not slipping can be a problem in the valve body with one of the valve sticking or a solenoid that's sticking causing a delayed shift or engagement check the transmission oil and in the filter for any sign of metal or debris that would flag and internal failure occurring. If that all looks clean I recommend getting a set of test gauges on the transmission and see if there are any problems with the pressures dropping off that would indicate a problem in one of the clutch packs or another internal leak etc. Look for burnt smell or discoloration in the oil as well. Let me know the results and we can follow up as needed on here. Please remember to take a moment to write my answers as that is how this 8 credits my time helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated
Done checked all that and is good been reading on some forums on allusion trans this is when the torqe converter kicks on on these transmissions once it takes 4th it's good n stout it just like it takes a second to lock in I. Thinking there a delay on torqe converter locking I. What would cause this.
If the oil is clean and you found no debris or trash in the filter or sludge that is a good sign. What are the pressures in each gear position?
If there are no signs of mechanical problems and all the pressures are in specs. Then you may have a valve sticking in the valve body which the valve body should be removed and inspected for any scoring Etc in the valve and be sure that they don't stick in any of the bores.... If all that looks okay I would try reprogramming and reflashing the software in the TCM to see if that corrects the shift points.
Daniel Wilson
I think it's more electrical I was a garbage truck 2 days ago shifted fine I switched cabs on it n had to redo lot of the wiring. . It's throwing a d16600 code which means it's not making connection with the engine comput to the trans computer. Narrowed it down to the black trans connector pin s1 n s17 r the two wires now I just need to know how to test those two wires n see why there not making communication. Any idea? Or fuse may be some were?