Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a laundry list of codes and cant even begin to find…

Customer Question
I have a long...

I have a long laundry list of codes and cant even begin to find an explanation

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2013 386 pete

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are attempting to fix it but the only computer diagnostics is with the on board computer we have installed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't know if the codes are obdII or the j1939 the printout I have has j1939 but I cant find anything when I look them up

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/14/2018
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 5 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

What are the codes? If they start with a letter, they are the OBD. If not, they are most likely SPN J1939.

Have you checked electrical contacts at the batteries? Have you cleared them to get rid of the inactive codes and then these are the ones that returned? What on board computer is installed? No Paccar program (Paccar engine), Insite program (Cummins), or Davie program to pull codes available?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

from the print out of our on board diagnostic system, I have the following codes, all of which pop up several times. the software is not a diagnostic software, but it is called geotab
here are the following codes along with description and how many times it appears:
code: 281 - accelerometer calibration in progress - source: telematics device - controller: telematics device - 6 times
code: 77 - forward rear axle temp - source: j1939 - controller: cab controller primary - 31 times
code: 4276 - engine cylinder #10 exhaust valve actuator - source: j1939 - controller: cab controller primary - 4 times
code: 651 - engine fuel 1 injector cylinder 1 - source: j1939 - controller: engine #1 - 6 times
code: 175 - low priority warning light on - source: telematics device - controller: telematics device - 2 times
code: 411 - engine exhaust gas recirculation 1 differential pressure - source: j1939 - controller engine #1 - 2 times
code: 51923 - unknown diagnostic - source: j1939 - controller: cab controller primary - 6 times
code: 25780 - unknown diagnostic - source j1939 - controller: cab controller primary - 5 times
code: 17096 - unknown diagnostic - source j1939 - controller: cab controller primary - 3 times
id rather not call unless I have to

I don't generate the call requests. That is something the site does automatically. You can completely ignore that.

Do these have the FMI with them?

281 has to do with the Geotab device.

77 is the front drive axle temperature. Go under the truck and see that the wire is not damaged for it. I see that a lot from the road debris hitting it.

4276 has to do with the DPF doser. It is not spraying properly.

651 is injector #1. The solenoid on it is acting up so expect a need for an injector there.

175 is again for the telematics or Geotab device.

411 is the EGR tubes. Blow them out with air and check the sensor for blockages.

51923 has to do with the transmission. The fluid temps are high.

25780 is related to the 77 fault. it is telling you that the cab controller is getting a high temp reading on the forward drive axle.

17096 is for the transmission temp being high.

I cant afford the cost at the moment nor do I have my wallet on me
if the wiring is intact can it be a faulty sensor
it does not have the fmi next to it. that was the first thing that I noticed with the printout I was given. it has no spn or fmi on it. it only states the code.
is it possible the geotab device can cause all of the codes if not installed correctly?

Well, the Geotab device won't cause the code to my knowledge for it is polling the info on the network and informing of the codes the network sees.

The FMI qas just to narrow down the type of code they are, like shorts or open connections, sensor failures, etc.

If the wire is intact with no rubs and it passes the ohms test from end to end, then yes, it can be a sensor or calibration.

Not sure what the cost comment was about. If that is site related, I don't work for the site. I am a user like you are. The site will need to be contacted for those type of questions.

I got 3.96 k ohms. that's what I told my boss. without the fmi its going to be a lot harder to figure out where to start, muchless the cause of the code. the only active code currently is for the front diff oil temp sensor so I am ordering the sensor for tomorrow. all of the other codes are gone, not even inactive. would a premature startup be a cause of some of the codes. this unit didn't have the codes the day before yesterday and the only code he has, like I said, is the diff oil temp code.

With the computerized trucks, you can get collision codes meaning the code was a "blip" when there really wasn't anything wrong, especially if the vehicle is running well. You will get a collision from so much signaling going on and the module doesn't get the proper response of what it expected at that time, then you fault out. When you have low counts, usually less than 10 on these codes, they are collision related or "blips." As a network engineer, I tend to ignore faults that have low counts knowing the system should show high counts if it were really bad, like the 411 code for example. If the sensor was reading a bad pressure, it should trigger multiple times. However, it will do it only with key on and you get a fault at each key on. This is where the data for the code and the FMI comes in handy. If it is a FMI 3 for example, that is an open meaning I will get one count. Now if it is a 4, it should be around 126 or 127 for the count. Another example is the 77 you have. I see that is 31 times so I know that sensor is the issue for each time the sensor raises temps, it codes. The 651 is touchy. There should be a code for each cylinder firing on that on or higher than 6 times if there is an injector issue along with smoke, derate, and possible shut down of the truck.

It takes a little bit more to work on these anymore and the documentation is pretty important. The FMIs really help with the codes, not just the SPN numbers. The whole code has a SA (Source Address), a SPN, and a FMI. Some of the codes fall in 2 source addresses, especially the manufacturer codes like the 51923. The good thing is Peterbilt and Kenworth are the only ones that use that one and only on one source, but that can change at any time.