Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2018 Peterbilt right front rear wheel overheated brake

Customer Question
2018 Peterbilt right front...

2018 Peterbilt right front rear wheel overheated brake burned up ABS sensor, replaced sensor and brake. Still gets hot, adjusted seems to be working, replaced maxi pot, new brake shoe,, adjusted and readjusted looks like it works. Run 100 miles still gets hot other wheels remain cool. Still has good brakes. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Peterbilt, 379, 2016, Eaton rears, ISX Cummins 550.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just need help with this overheating brake on one wheel.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/14/2018
Technician: Don, Journeyman replied 4 months ago
Don
Don, Journeyman

hi there my name is don

i will try to help you on this

It5 sounds to me like the brake is hanging up

this could be caused by two things

1. the slack adjuster adjusted too tight

2. the s-cam is binding in the tube

to see if this is a problem back the brake off using the slack adjuster once backed off remove the clevis pin and back the slack away from the maxi pot with it out of the way try and turn the s-cam using the slack adjuster

there will be some resistance from the brake shoe springs but it m should feel free and when you let go of the slack adjuster it should go back to its starting place

sometimes the s-cam tube gets a build up of grease in the tube and causes binding

after that reattach the slack adjuster to the brake pot adjust the brakes up to normal then back the brakes off 4 turns take a piece of chalk or marker or what ever you have to mark on the end or the s-cam

that sticks out of the slack male a line vertical on the end of the s-cam from top to bottom

have some one press on the brake 5 to 6 times watch the line you made if the slack adjuster i8s working ok then you will see the line move if it does not then the slack is no good

after that readjust that brake to where is should be

jack the front end up and try to rotate the wheel it should turn freely with minimal binding

have some one push on the brakes and release a couple of time and try to rot5ate the wheel

see if the wheel is hanging up after release

Have a great Night

Don

Please use the star rating system at top of page so I get credit from the web site for my time,
You may still ask follow up questions at no extra charge after rating.
Thank you

Thank you

sorry i read the front wheel

you can use the same method with that front rear wheel the same does apply

don

Thank you