Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Does it cost to ask questions. 1999 international 4700

Does it cost to...

Does it cost to ask questions

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

1999 international 4700 dt466e

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes when it cranks it revs up fine put in gear with brake on try to give gas it throws warn engin light n loose accelerator

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Or try to just take off foward or revers it starts to move then goes in limp mode no

3/14/2018
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there. My name is***** you tried replacing the fuel pedal ?

I work for a dealer and usually when this occurs , it indicates a defective fuel pedal . We plug in a new one and problem solved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
tried that already . I'm doin a cab Change over from a garbage truck to reg cab . Has a Allison 3060p trans . Also other cab had hydraulic brakes so I switched them over to air. I don't have a brake switch hooked up yet(cud be problem but doubtful. Anyways when I crank it up it idles fine while in neutral revs up fine while in neutral . But if I put in gear while brakes are locked give little gas warn engine light comes on and pedal shuts off . Does same with brake off it will start to take off toward and reverse for just a second then pedal goes dead then warn engine light comes on . It does not stall or turn truck off just idles

What is the active fault you have when this occurs? I will look up troubleshooting for it for you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
222 141 155 134 133 132 135 143
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thinking there a ground or 12volt problem somewere just need to know were to start. Just weird it revs up fine in neutral in just when in gear it does it I had trouble getting transmission wires for power but it all seems to work not been able to try out how it shifts goin down rd yet . It's like when it gets under a load to move is when it does it.

Does your tachometer read rpm just fine or is it cutting out and acting up?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
K I gave up on it tonight I start trouble shooting again in am. I didn't really pay attention to it after it started doin this I want to say it was working fine but i have to recheck in the morning. If it's not it prob cam sensor maybe could it cause it to do what in telling you. I have a extra one of those I can trade out in am if so might do that any way.

I think you likely have a wiring harness problem. I remember many issues with pedal back then and having to install a pedal overlay harness to rectify the problem.

If you had a cam sensor problem , rpm gauge would be erratic and it would likely stall out. You need to follow the links i sent you for the fuel pedal diagnostics. That's what seems to be the problem going by what you have told me for symptoms. You will likely find something harness related. Almost certain of it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
K thanks I do that on am n let you know what I find .

Have a good night and please do not forget to rate my service to you.

Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was number 17 fuse blown tried first thing took right off. Just throwed me cause thought for it to reg up in neutral it had to have power to it. Ok on to next question.? 3060p 5speed auto. When I take off it goes thru all gears good except 4 when it first goes into fourth it slips for a second then takes . Does the same if I up shift with the shifter? What could cause that.

I'm sorry but you need to start a new question for this as that is not my area of expertise ! Thanks for the accept though! Much appreciated!

Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician