Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Bendix Tu Flo 550 unloader valve. Freightliner Century

Bendix Tu Flo 550...

Bendix Tu Flo 550 unloader valve

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Freightliner Century Class. 1FUYSSZB8VP821559

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm trying to replace the unloader valve and there are 5 bolts holding down the cover plate. Bolt near the middle is longer and won't come out without hitting the intake manifold

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Wondering if I can take this cover plate of without removing manifold or compressor

3/13/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

If it is one of the bolts that will allow you to swing that cover out of the way enough to get the unloader Pistons out of the compressor then you may be able to get by with it. If not you will have to remove either the intake or the compressor and if it were me I would go for the intake to avoid having to drain the whole cooling system, etc. Let me know if you need more help and we can follow up as needed on here. Please remember to take them home at 2 rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the photo and yes that is one of the compressor head bolts. It looks like you'll be removing the intake.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't take compressor or intake atm, in Abit of a hurry. Just don't want to break seal and then have problems with even more leakage
Then your only option is to try to get the unloader Pistons out holding that cover up high enough and cross your fingers that there's no leaks. And if so you can get the intake gasket in the stuff you need to do it when you have time with the truck or as we both know the customer or driver may not have a choice of the downtime if it doesn't work out in his favor. Unfortunately it is what it is as we both know. So fingers crossed that you're able to get the unloaders out and replaced with no leaks on that cover.
Daniel Wilson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

Pleasure to help

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson