Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Have a diesel that wont start. Okj. Changed the filter bled…

Have a diesel...

Have a diesel that wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Okj

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, changed the filter bled it several times but the primer dose not seem to get hard to pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

It is on a 2003 7400 international dt 533,
3/13/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

If you open bleed after the primer pump, do you have air in the system? If you do, the primer is sucking air, either from bad primer pump or the fuel line before the pump has a bad spot and is letting air be sucked in. The line belfore the primer, back to the tank, as to be vacuum tight, or the primer will not suck.

Ok, do the fittings on the line before the pump have a o ring seal ?

Not sure what your's look like, either soft washers or o'rings.

ok, Ill start there and see what I find

Quick test, you can make test line and attach it to the primer inlet and into a separate fuel container to see if it pumps.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Thanks Curtis, got it going. It was a bad o ring on the inlet line to the primer. replaced it and she primed right up. Thanks for the help. Chris

Thanks!