Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Maybe you can help me, I have a 1997 iron horse tractor 224…

Good morning maybe you...

Good morning maybe you can help me, I have a 1997 iron horse tractor 224 diesel 3 cylinder engine the bucket on the front of the tractor continues to seep down loaded or empty I had both cylinders rebuilt and it did not fix the problem any ides like (valve body bad maybe??)

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you so much!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could there be an additive that can be bought to help? I took the valve body to a hydraulic shop that rebuilt both cylinder arms and they said they found a piece of wood inside the valve body and they replaced all the o rings so i'm totally stuck and don't know what else to do it's costing me a fortune with no results

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Have you run a cylinder test? Even with rebuilt cylinders, you could still have an internal leak. Tilt bucket either direct and bottom it out, figure out which is the pressure hose on one of the cylinders, remove the opposite hose, then pressure the cylinder again. If oil pours from the open hole in the cylinder, the cylinder has leakage, if it pours from the removed hose, the opposite cylinder is the leaker. If neither leaks, cylinders are good. Which only leaves the control valve spool. which should hold the oil from leaking.

Had both cylinders rebuilt and they told me both were pressure tested I don't Ave anyway to check so I then took the valve body off and brought that to them and they found a small piece of wood inside and showed it to me with the old o rings they replaced and I put it back together and it was like I never did anything continued to do the same thing they claim all the pressures are ok

Did you see my response on testing of the cylinders?

I did unfortunately I'm in a blizzard and I cannot get to tractor today but as soon as I can get to it Curtis I will try that and get back to you ok
Curtis is there any additive that can be used instead of straight hydraulic fluid that could help as a temporary fix I'm a little low from bleeding system so I was wondering if I were to put in something like Lucas products that u could recommend?

No, there is no additive that could be used. You could go to a 90 wt gear oil, but not recommended.

OK I understand
I will get back to you when I have tractor back at garage thnx

with this problem, it is leaking cylinder, or a bad control valve spool. and spools are not serviced, so the valve would have to be replaced.

OK is that in the valve body itself?

Yes, the loader control valve.

Any idea where I could check on getting one for a 1997 iron horse 224 tractor 3 cylinder

The valves are universal. If I was looking for one, I would go to Ebay, and find a two function loader valve.

That's what I will try thanks for your suggestions I will let u know what happens

Thank you, ***** ***** the 5-star rating system to close the question and get me credit!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Will do thnx

Thank you!