Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Series 60 detroit 14L will not start. Engine model is a

Customer Question
Second opinion] series 60...

Second opinion] series 60 detroit 14L will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Engine model is a 8DDXH14.0EL OR BDDXH14.0EL Serial number is *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes im fixing it for my customer i run a semi repair shop. it got towed in, was mixing coolant. tried to start it to check engine function would not start before i pulled it apart. pulled head and found 3 liners dropped. did an inframe overhual. tried to start, still didnt. my check engine light on the dash comes on for a split second and then goes away. im thinking its a power issue on the ecm.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

My voltages are all at 12.5 with a charging box on it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
3/12/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

What is the year truck? Is this DDEC V, VI, etc?

it is a 2008 frieghtliner cascadia
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

this way I can get you the correct diagram to check Power and grounds to the ECM

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Another cause can be the TRS and SRS sensors not giving speed signal to the ECM. Is the engine light cycling on at key on as it should?

the light comes on for a split second not like anything ive seen before
i dont normally do wiring so short terms for sensors dont help me sorry trs and srs are?
i pulled the 120 pin connector last night at 2am with my charger on the batteries at 13volts i got no powers on the 120 pin connector and frm what i found last night googling is that pins 62,64, 91, 93 should have had power
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Click this link below for the diagram for power and grounds

Service info

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

The Synchronous Reference Sensor and Timing Reference Sensor These sensors control the timing of the engine. The SRS sensor provides a "once per cam revolution" signal and the TRS sensor provides a "36 per crankshaft revolution" signal. Workingtogether, these sensors tell the ECM which cylinder is at top-dead-center for cylinder firing.Precise monitoring of piston position allows for optimum injection timing, resulting in excellent fuel economy and performance with low emissions

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Are you able to communicate with a scan tool and if so are there any codes logged?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

You can get codes from the dash display as well with the Mode Reset switches to scroll through at key on. Let me know the full code numbers.

ill check the codes and my scan tool is a cheap $500 one working on getting a better one.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
Test and verify your battery 2 ECM power and grounds as well as your switched power to the ECM and also verify your engine speed signal to the ECM from the SRS and TRS sensors which are on the front timing cover near the air compressor backside left. Connect your scan tool to see if you can read and live data your engine speed signal and if there are any fault codes logged let me know. If there's no speed sensor signal then it could be either the sensor is not reading the gear or you have a problem with the sensor itself or the wiring. Verify that you have good fuel supply pressure and no restrictions or leaks. Check for those things and we can follow up as needed on here. Once you received all the information you need please remember to take a moment to rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are greatly appreciated
no fault codes and i checked on the 120 pin connector and i have no power at the pins 61,62, 65, and 66 nothing
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
This truck has Multiplex electrical with Sam modules or body control modules in other words that communicate with both the engine ECM and transmission ECM as well as the ABS module Etc. If your scan tool did not reveal any faults I would still check through the dash as that will tell us if there is a loss of communication with the engine ECM because the Sam module will have a fault for that etc
i do not see anything in the dash disconnected. i am looking for a direction in which to go
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

I see there was a call request and another professional must have tried to take it before I could but in either case its showing a payment issue customer service must resolve before a call can be accepted and made. We will have to continue this way for now.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Please pull the codes from the dash of the truck as I asked earlier instead of your scan tool.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Click on this link for the drivers manual on how to use the dash display on getting codes.

Manual

there are no codes for the truck at all.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
Double check in the battery box in between the battery box and the ECM as there should be some Maine Power fuses or Breakers that power the chassis modules and transmission and engine control modules, etc. Make sure the towing company or someone didn't forget to reconnect those and that they're not tucked up in the harness somewhere out of the way instead of connected to the batteries. The engine light should come on at key on briefly and then cycle out. If that is okay and you were able to communicate with the ECM I would then move on to verify your fuel system checks as well as your engine speed sensor signal. If those speed sensors are not giving the ECM signal the ECM will not know that the engine is turning over to know to fire the injectors
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
Also install a clear hose between the tank and pump to look for air bubbles in the system on both the supply and the return to tank. This will help check for restrictions and leaks as well as for air in the system.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson