Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Wb 140 does nothing when i try to start it. when i turn on…

Wb 140 does nothing...

Wb 140 does nothing when i try to start it. when i turn on the key we have power ,but it wont crank. checked fuzes, there ok,battery is charged. was starting and running it yesterday,every thing was great. when i turn key on the gear shift read out says 88.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I will go get it!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Wb 140 ps utilty fi*140f50044

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
komatsu wb140 backhoe
3/12/2018
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

To start test with a voltmeter for 12 volts at the small s terminal on the starter solenoid with the ignition switch in the start position and in neutral with the park brake applied. Check to see that there is 12 volts at the small s terminal at the starter solenoid as there should be two engage the solenoid for the starter motor to crank the engine. If the battery test good and all the cables and connections are good including all grounds between the starter in the solenoid and you have 12 volts at the small s terminal it means that you have a faulty solenoid if the starter motor will not crank the engine over. If there is no voltage there then you will want to check the neutral switch or gear selector for power In-N-Out in all positions as well as the switch for the parking brake. Check the wiring harness and connector pins as well for corrosion or damage. Let me know the results as we can follow up as needed on here. Once you have all the information you need and are satisfied please remember to take a moment and rate my answers as that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site. Five-star ratings and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my volt meter is not working but i used a 12 volt test lite it came on so i crossed small post to outside terminal and it started! i lifted loader bucket, so i can reach starter. then turned off key. and it is still the same. do you think solenoid ?
Thanks for the update. Yes if you have signal voltage to the small signal wire and Good battery and connections between the battery and starter and need to jump the solenoid to get it to respond then yes that is a faulty starter solenoid.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks, ***** ***** one, (i live 40 miles from town) and update you!
Pleasure to help
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we did not fix the starting problem, i ended up on the phone with komatsu in billings told them what was the problem and the code,thay had me go jump the solenoid post and tell them the code that showed while it was running,turns out there is a sensor in the transmison and it wont start because the pressure is to high! so i need to change the filter and oil, if that doesnt work then its much worse, so my problem is not fixed yet.
Thanks for the update. Check inside the filter and oil for metal/ debris that would indicate an internal failure occurring and also for burnt smell and discolored oil. Let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok will do .i will not be able to get to it now untill friday. thanks
Sounds good. You're welcome.
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson